Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cuffed & stuffed suspect in OK grabs patrol rifle, starts firing from vehicle

Ahh… my home county.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    As others have mentioned suspects slipping out of cuffs happens.

Another recent example:

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022...w-try-to-flee/

BCSO: Assault in West Bexar County leads to 3 arrests after women smash patrol vehicle window, try to flee
    Incident occurred around 3:30 a.m.

SAN ANTONIO – Three women are in custody after they allegedly smashed a patrol car window and tried to flee when deputies responded to an assault call early Thursday morning, the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office said.
    The incident occurred around 3:30 a.m. at a home in the 10100 block of Round Ridge, not far from Shaenfield Road and Wildhorse Parkway.

According to deputies, they responded to the home after receiving a call about an 18-year-old woman allegedly hitting her boyfriend with a Mason jar.

Deputies said when they arrived, two of the woman’s friends showed up and they tried to leave with the suspect. That’s when, deputies say, as they left, someone picked up an object and smashed the back window of a deputy’s patrol vehicle.

BCSO said the deputy went after the women and radioed their description to other deputies. Another deputy spotted the car and got it to stop on Shaenfield Road, but as he was taking them into custody, the 18-year-old suspect slipped out of the handcuffs and jumped back into the car and tried to flee.

Deputies say the woman went up on a curb and stopped the car against a tree. She was arrested at the scene. The woman was checked out by EMS, after she claimed she was hurt, BCSO said.

The teenager now faces charges related to both the assault and the escape. The original driver who picked her up is charged with reckless driving and possibly evading, BCSO said.

A third person inside the vehicle had an outstanding warrant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    And I would suggest that some LEO may have offered a more ballistic response.
    THIS...

I'm still surprised about the braced AR. I guess I shouldn't be, the officer probably had to provide his own patrol rifle which sucks.
    #RESIST

Would the zip-tie type plastic cuffs be harder to slip?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Yes, but most require you to slide the loop over the entire hand instead of clamping the strand over the wrist, which is harder to do with non-compliant persons.

There are techniques to overcome this, but with the abysmal skill levels seen during the compliant handcuffing portion of in-service training…

Zip-ties are CDI and light to carry but considered temporary restraints, they’re not “secure” until the person is in metal handcuffs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Harder to slip out of but there are other ways to defeat them and they are harder to apply on non compliant suspects.

You also need an appropriate tool to cut them off, usually some type of snips. NOT a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Exactly. I remember several transports, during which I knew that they had slipped their cuffs off. I got most of them to cooperate, upon arrival, by politely telling them that life would be better for them, once inside, if they wore the cuffs nicely, while being led inside, and being searched. One female, who would not stop struggling, and was immune to remaining handcuffed, got to ride downtown with me sitting beside her, in the back seat, holding her arms, while a partner drove. I may well have put leg irons on her ankles, but do not recall, with certainty. I did not like riding inside the “cage,” but the rear door windows were open, so I could reach the exterior door handles, if necessary.

One time, I put leg irons above the elbows of one uncooperative skinny female.
    I think we were probably among the few that bought leg irons just in case. There was several times transporting an escape risk prisoner I was really glad to have them.

One way to stop people from getting handcuffs in front is loop the cuffs under a belt so they can’t step through them.

The detectives in the Marshall Task Force had pretty specialized kits to stop escapes including a hood so the prisoner couldn’t see. I think they had “mittens” to go over hands. It was all in one bag and they all had one.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I think 90 pound drunk and/or method blond females were some of the toughest struggles. Of course they all had skinny wrists so the could slip them pretty easily. I’ve had cuffs down to the last catch and they seemed loose.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I think we were probably among the few that bought leg irons just in case. There was several times transporting an escape risk prisoner I was really glad to have them.

One way to stop people from getting handcuffs in front is loop the cuffs under a belt so they can’t step through them.

The detectives in the Marshall Task Force had pretty specialized kits to stop escapes including a hood so the prisoner couldn’t see. I think they had “mittens” to go over hands. It was all in one bag and they all had one.
    Seen mittens and black boxes to protect the cuff locking mechanism, and I’ve seen spit hoods in use but not a straight up GWOT PUC hood.

I’ve seen one armed dudes and dudes in arm casts cuffed to their belt.

I always keep belly chains and leg irons in the work car.

User Tag List