Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holy Muzzle Flash!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    So. a little bit of searching (like 40 seconds' worth) and I found this article that the .357 Max was not a success because of topstrap erosion.

I'm curious as to how the .350 Legend will be different.
    As mentioned in the article, the erosion would reach a point and stop. so while cosmetically bad, it wasn't a problem in terms of safety. At least I've never heard of any failures caused by that top-strap erosion...

I didn't see it mentioned, but the erosion was less severe if you used heavy bullets, which was kind of the raison d'ętre of the cartridge.

I've never owned a 357max myself. I've been tempted to get a barrel for my Encore, but I can use Trailboss powder in my 35 Whelen barrel and get the same ballistic results.

Chris

The top strap erosion that doomed the .357 Maximum as a commercial cartridge was the result of Remington's decision to market the cartridge as a faster .357 Magnum, loading it with 110gr and 125gr JSP's over a stout load of ball powder. That combination did to the Ruger Maximum what the .357 Magnum 125gr loads did to the S&W K-frames: it flame cut the top strap and eroded the barrel face. Neither issue resulted in a failure of the guns; the top strap erosion would proceed to a certain depth and then stop, but the damage to the cartridge's reputation was done.

The solution to that erosion is not to use hot burning ball powders and light-weight bullets. It is why most people who shoot the .357 Maximum extensively use powders like H4227 or AA1680 for maximum loads rather than more traditional ball powders like Win 296 or H110.

It's a shame the .357 Maximum didn't catch on because it can drive 180-210gr bullets to useful velocities and provide very fine accuracy out to, and beyond, 200 meters--as decades of IHMSA Silhouette records can attest.

Whether the 350 Legend can catch on will likely depend upon: (1) how well the cartridge performs out of the relatively short S&W barrel; (2) whether S&W has solved the problem of extracting rimless cases in a DA revolver--particularly a high pressure cartridge that will likely require very well polished chambers, kept very clean, to prevent sticking; (3) whether any other manufacturers will take up the chambering. If it takes the 350 Legend to get Ruger to produce the extended Super Blackhawk frame again, then I'm all for it

I'll reserve judgment on the S&W revolver, and the chambering, until I read Brian Pearce's article. If S&W is smart, they've already had the gun in his hands for months. And if S&W would produce this gun with a 10 5/8" barrel, with an integral Picatinny rail, DX-style front sight and Bo-Mar style rear, then I'd likely overlook the internal lock and pick one up just for fun.

You can order a Magnum Research BFR in .350 Legend. Of course you can also order a BFR in .357 Max or .375Win both are in the same frame size as the Legend. So why you'd choose .350LGND over those two other rounds is a mystery to me. Particularly .375Win - which can be a powder puff or an absolute monster and has tons of bullets available.

According to the TFB article they are using moonclips for extraction, so wouldn't that solve the issue of it being rimless?

Site Supporter
    Aside from I assume less recoil what does it do better than a .454 or .460 out of a handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    According to the TFB article they are using moonclips for extraction, so wouldn't that solve the issue of it being rimless?
    It solves the rimless issue - it doesn't solve sticky extraction. Which is likely going to be an issue when the brass swells due to the high pressure of the round. We're talking 15-20k more peak PSI for .350LGND over .357Maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Aside from I assume less recoil what does it do better than a .454 or .460 out of a handgun?
    Cost less to shoot. There are about 2x as many .350 Legend loads available as .454. I just ran an Ammoseek search out of curiosity and .454 Casull choices are HSM, Freedom, Barnes, Hornady, Magtech, and Federal - prices range from $1.55/round and up. For .350 Legend, Winchester (White Box practice fodder), Browning, Remington, Freedom, Barnes, Hornady, Federal all offer ammo for it and it runs 66.5˘/round and up. So, ~1/3 the price per round of .454. .460 is roughly the same as .454 in cost.

In addition to being more widespread as a factory round, I also suspect the 350 Legend will be substantially easier on the shooter than commonly available 44 Magnum / 454 Casull loads--particularly for higher round counts.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I haven't visit a lot of gunshops since early 2020, but even a S&W stocking dealer several months back had hardly anything in the sales case. If they can't make enough to meet demand, now, why bring out another model? Especially when they are apparently in flux as to what's going to be made where?

Ah, why am I asking? The nut barns are packed with people who have driven themselves insane trying to make sense of what the management of Colt and/or S&W have done.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    More powerful and higher pressure than .357Max.

.355" bullets in .350LGND vs .358" bullets for .357Max
    .357 bullets:

Name:  350-Legend-768x459.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  77.7 KB

If Wikipedia is right, the cartridge was designed to meet rules that required straight-walled cartridges that had a minimum bullet diameter of .357,
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I haven't visit a lot of gunshops since early 2020, but even a S&W stocking dealer several months back had hardly anything in the sales case. If they can't make enough to meet demand, now, why bring out another model? Especially when they are apparently in flux as to what's going to be made where?

Ah, why am I asking? The nut barns are packed with people who have driven themselves insane trying to make sense of what the management of Colt and/or S&W have done.
    You are correct. They have filled up insane asylums too.🤗

User Tag List