Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holy Muzzle Flash!

I wonder what the performance of those Leheigh Xtreme Penetrators would be in .350 Legend? Or a heavy hardcast.

When’s the 2” Scandium carry version due?

I hope they sell a ton of them, but seems a little odd to me.
    Those X-frame guns are so big, and so heavy, I'd carry a 5-6 LB carbine first.

But it might put some additional range into deer/antelope hunters grasp.
    Who knows what'll happen in those states with the weird "straight wall" hunting regs, just might catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    .357 bullets:

Attachment 93191

If Wikipedia is right, the cartridge was designed to meet rules that required straight-walled cartridges that had a minimum bullet diameter of .357,
    SAAMI specification is a bit tricky...it is .357" (minus) 0.0030" - So technically the specification is .354" in size. Winchester says it's specc'ed to run .354-.357" bullets. However, many rifle manufacturers make their .350L barrels in .355". Factory loads from Winchester, Hornady, Federal, etc. all use a .355" bullet, not a .357".

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wh...th-350-legend/

The general advice is - do not shoot the 55k PSI cartridge with common .357-.358" bullets. There are Legend-specific bullets in .355 and .356 diameters or monolithic 9mm pistol bullets can work - okay.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...-legend/377056

https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/350-Legend/8567

So. a little bit of searching (like 40 seconds' worth) and I found this article that the .357 Max was not a success because of topstrap erosion.

I'm curious as to how the .350 Legend will be different.
    I remember back in the day that I was all primed up to grab a Ruger in .357Max, but almost immediately the erosion issue surfaced. Dan Wesson "solved" it by already having an easily replaceable barrel designed in. Ruger threw in the towel in pretty short order. These guns were actually shot hard in IHMSA matches and it wasn't just topstrap erosion, it was also hell on the forcing cone and accuracy dropped off rather rapidly. With .350L running even higher velocities I'm going to watch with interest as to how it's different now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I remember back in the day that I was all primed up to grab a Ruger in .357Max, but almost immediately the erosion issue surfaced. Dan Wesson "solved" it by already having an easily replaceable barrel designed in. Ruger threw in the towel in pretty short order. These guns were actually shot hard in IHMSA matches and it wasn't just topstrap erosion, it was also hell on the forcing cone and accuracy dropped off rather rapidly. With .350L running even higher velocities I'm going to watch with interest as to how it's different now.
    I think the flame cutting and throat issues have been mitigated. Better metallurgy and replaceable shields have solved flame cutting. Better powder choices have addressed the erosion problems. The powders used back in the 70s and 80s for top velocity have been superseded by newer powders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    I hope they sell a ton of them, but seems a little odd to me.
    Those X-frame guns are so big, and so heavy, I'd carry a 5-6 LB carbine first.

But it might put some additional range into deer/antelope hunters grasp.
    Who knows what'll happen in those states with the weird "straight wall" hunting regs, just might catch on.
    In that weight and OAL you could have a 12" barreled Contender for half the money.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    In that weight and OAL you could have a 12" barreled Contender for half the money.
    Right, with the ability to switch calibers, etc.

Who knows how moonclips will go over with hunters. Time will tell.

But those straight wall states have made a lot of things popular that otherwise might not have happened.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I suppose this continues the grand tradition of having a rifle and sidearm in the same caliber. A Ruger Blackhawk with a 7.5” barrel would be good, and then who cares if it’a a rimless cartridge.

I guess the pointy bullets keeps this out of lever guns, other than a BLR or a remake of a Winchester ‘95.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I suppose this continues the grand tradition of having a rifle and sidearm in the same caliber. A Ruger Blackhawk with a 7.5” barrel would be good, and then who cares if it’a a rimless cartridge.

I guess the pointy bullets keeps this out of lever guns, other than a BLR or a remake of a Winchester ‘95.
    Ahem...

Loaded ammo too

User Tag List