Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FREE BULL TERRIER RESCUE- MALE- 6 yrs Eastern PA

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Do you use “et tu?” as a correction?
    On the 15th of March he doesn't take him for a walk.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Updated title with location. These are really cool dogs. They can have a bit of dog aggression, but they are not like pit bulls and I’d trust one around kids once I got to know it. Also, this dog damn sure looks purebred.

I feel sorry for the wrong dog that thinks this is a “little” dog. These dogs are warriors, but stable.
    I really like Bull Terriers. I hope Poconner finds a good home for Brutus.

I'd agree that he's pure bread. I wouldn't even question that.
    BTs are appealing dogs -- very fun loving and I'm a fan of the big dog in a small package concept. I don't know, however, that I'd agree that they're stable. My experience is quite the opposite. Admittedly, that's a sample of one and not indicative of the whole breed, but don't let their clownish looks fool you. Well socialized BTs are cool dogs, but proceed with caution if other dogs are in the equation. As a breed, they’re often accused of being aggressive to other dogs and they can often have neurotic behaviors like obsessive tail chasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    (Snip)
    My first bull terrier was very dog aggressive with larger dogs. He didn’t bark; he acted like terminator. The breed is a great family breed and is very territorial. Great breed for home security. They need training, a firm hand and plenty of love and play.
    (Snip)
    This largely mirrors my experience. Our little 38lb BT was determined to kill our 80lb GSD. Surprising to me, he would have had no problem dispatching the larger more athletic dog if I hadn’t intervened. Mine unfortunately was also aggressive to my daughter which bought him a return ticket to the breeder. Please note: I want to stress that based off my research and discussions with trainers, the aggression toward kids and family is very rare in this breed.

We unfortunately are no longer a zero dogs house, but until recently we were what I described as "exactly the people 'free puppy' signs are addressed to." Hopefully someone else on here or elsewhere you have contacts fits that description. I'd volunteer if I wasn't pretty sure he'd make very short work of my 90lbs but incredibly submissive and almost too harmless Golden. I love bull types of all kinds and would love to eventually have one if I can make it work with the rest of the household.

That said, my wife and I could probably help with transport in and near Iowa if needed.

Site Supporter
    That is actually how he got his name. I had named him Tyson. Then he bit the little Cavapoo. After I took care of the Cavapoo; I was sitting with the bull terrier. He was wagging his tail and licking my face. I told him he was a bully for picking on the little dog, that he betrayed me and he was a big brute. It just clicked. He has been Brutus ever since. Whoever owned him before trained him to stay off the furniture but in typical bull terrier fashion he thinks he is a lap dog and will climb into you lap for belly rubs. Here he is with my daughter. Name:  5D05CC87-BF20-4204-9CD0-FE1871D99672.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  97.8 KB

Is he wearing doggie Crocs?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Here is my daughter at at about age 4 with my first bull terrier
    Name:  48D20294-6A91-4AC7-8741-D9DA995368DA.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  39.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Is he wearing doggie Crocs?
    Yes, He is actually wearing dog shoes. When the humane society found him each paw had pads with skin torn off.

Somebody grab this guy. I would if I didn't have cats and a pretty busy household, pretty sure I could make him and my GSD get along.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawls View Post
    I really like Bull Terriers. I hope Poconner finds a good home for Brutus.

I'd agree that he's pure bread. I wouldn't even question that.
    BTs are appealing dogs -- very fun loving and I'm a fan of the big dog in a small package concept. I don't know, however, that I'd agree that they're stable. My experience is quite the opposite. Admittedly, that's a sample of one and not indicative of the whole breed, but don't let their clownish looks fool you. Well socialized BTs are cool dogs, but proceed with caution if other dogs are in the equation. As a breed, they’re often accused of being aggressive to other dogs and they can often have neurotic behaviors like obsessive tail chasing.

This largely mirrors my experience. Our little 38lb BT was determined to kill our 80lb GSD. Surprising to me, he would have had no problem dispatching the larger more athletic dog if I hadn’t intervened. Mine unfortunately was also aggressive to my daughter which bought him a return ticket to the breeder. Please note: I want to stress that based off my research and discussions with trainers, the aggression toward kids and family is very rare in this breed.

I totally agree with 99 % of what you said about bull terriers. I think the key is early socialization, the breeder and the pedigree. I lucked into my first bull terrier locally. If I had realized how good his pedigree was I would not have neutered him. I had a few local breeders that had been breeding only bull terriers for decades. My second bull terrier came from a new breeder with a bitch from Hungary. Good dog but not great like the first one. But don’t forget I had to keep my first bull terrier away from other big dogs.
    I learned that the hard way. Buster was a true warrior dog; always ready to fight. I took buster to watch the K-9 guys at work train their dogs. I was thinking of trying schutzhund or agility competitions. A friend had a schutzhund trained giant schnauzer as a pet. The dogs greeted each other and I failed to notice Buster had gone into terminator mode- ears up, chest puffed out , back and tail straight , standing very stiff like a coiled spring ready to explode. The schnauzer gave him a little growl and bared his teeth. Buster head butted the schnauzer; knocking the schnauzer to the ground and then lunging in and grabbing the schnauzer by the throat. Buster then froze. My friend and I were shocked and quickly separated the dogs. Buster was then all friendly and happy with his tail wagging. Fortunately the schnauzer did not want anything to do with Buster. Keep in mind the schnauzer was 120 pounds and Buster was 60 pounds. Do not forget bull terriers were originally bred for dog fighting. From then on I kept him away from other big dogs. He had no problem with the second bull terrier and when my wife brought home a Chihuahua dog he didn’t mind. All three dogs slept together in a pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I totally agree with 99 % of what you said about bull terriers. I think the key is early socialization, the breeder and the pedigree. I lucked into my first bull terrier locally. If I had realized how good his pedigree was I would not have neutered him. I had a few local breeders that had been breeding only bull terriers for decades. My second bull terrier came from a new breeder with a bitch from Hungary. Good dog but not great like the first one. But don’t forget I had to keep my first bull terrier away from other big dogs.
    I learned that the hard way. Buster was a true warrior dog; always ready to fight. I took buster to watch the K-9 guys at work train their dogs. I was thinking of trying schutzhund or agility competitions. A friend had a schutzhund trained giant schnauzer as a pet. The dogs greeted each other and I failed to notice Buster had gone into terminator mode- ears up, chest puffed out , back and tail straight , standing very stiff like a coiled spring ready to explode. The schnauzer gave him a little growl and bared his teeth. Buster head butted the schnauzer; knocking the schnauzer to the ground and then lunging in and grabbing the schnauzer by the throat. Buster then froze. My friend and I were shocked and quickly separated the dogs. Buster was then all friendly and happy with his tail wagging. Fortunately the schnauzer did not want anything to do with Buster. Keep in mind the schnauzer was 120 pounds and Buster was 60 pounds. Do not forget bull terriers were originally bred for dog fighting. From then on I kept him away from other big dogs. He had no problem with the second bull terrier and when my wife brought home a Chihuahua dog he didn’t mind. All three dogs slept together in a pile.
    Amazing.

And coincidentally, our last two male boxers were Buster and then later Brutus. Both big thick bodied and giant headed boxers not much like the AKC show specimens.

Buster socialized great with our other female rescue (also a boxer) but wanted to EAT on sight dogs that wandered onto the property which happened from time to time back then.

Brutus was a pure lover. Too big to care about others' beefs. When our son's Shar Pei/pit mix would snarl and snap at him - only when they shared the kitchen space - Brutus would just look quizzically at her, like "heh".
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List