Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire forend battery options

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I seriously wonder if anyone at SureFire has actually fired a shotgun with one of their later models mounted on it. They seem to get ergonomically worse every generation.

All of my forend lights still say "Laser Products" on the side, albeit with Malkoff replacement heads. It's not perfect (they're too slick and heavy, though stippling/skateboard tape helps with the former), but it's the least sucky of all options I've found thus far. I'd love to see SF (or Cloud, or Modlight, or SL, or whoever) make a modern, updated light with the ergos of the original LP/SF lights in a lighter-weight package. But sadly, there's not enough market in it, I'd wager. With PDs dropping shotguns in favor of carbines, and the civilian market following suit, there just isn't enough available return on investment.
    So basically what I'm hearing you say, Matt, is that I should get a proper WML and mount it on the Zhukov handguard of my 870 and call it good rather than replacing the Zhukov with a Surefire integrated forend...

Quote Originally Posted by marcin View Post
    So basically what I'm hearing you say, Matt, is that I should get a proper WML and mount it on the Zhukov handguard of my 870 and call it good rather than replacing the Zhukov with a Surefire integrated forend...
    I've yet to find a really good way of mounting a light on a pump gun. The old SF handguards are the easiest to activate the light on in a lot of ways, but they're heavy and I wonder how much longer they'll last before the electronics start to age out. Yes you can mount various lights on a Magpul forend, but everything seems to be some manner of kludge. In the end, like Heinlein said, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Maybe a Cloud Defensive OWL mounted upside down? Has integrated tape switch with momentary and steady on. Downside, it weighs as much as a dump truck (12.5oz with the battery in).

@marcin I have an OWL we could try it if you want, just let me know (especially since OWLs are like 350 bucks).

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Maybe a Cloud Defensive OWL mounted upside down? Has integrated tape switch with momentary and steady on. Downside, it weighs as much as a dump truck (12.5oz with the battery in).

@marcin I have an OWL we could try it if you want, just let me know (especially since OWLs are like 350 bucks).
    Thanks, Rob. Next time we hang out with @Flamingo, let's do that.

I really like surefire forends over everything else on a shotgun. Using a malkoff lamp should go without saying.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You'd need to use two 16340's in the DSF-870 as the batteries are CR123A size, side by side. At least on mine.

(Otherwise a 16650 might have worked if they were installed lengthwise.)
    This right there. You can see it @ 8:12...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Seems like mounting it on the side would make more sense from an activation standpoint. Did you guys ever try it?

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I've yet to find a really good way of mounting a light on a pump gun. The old SF handguards are the easiest to activate the light on in a lot of ways, but they're heavy and I wonder how much longer they'll last before the electronics start to age out. Yes you can mount various lights on a Magpul forend, but everything seems to be some manner of kludge. In the end, like Heinlein said, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
    IMO a SF handguard is the only way to go on a pump, I've accepted the fact they are heavy ass pigs. I know most think the DSF was a step in the wrong direction for SF and certainly isn't perfect but I get by with mine, though I can see someone with huge hands might hate it. I agree, wish someone would come out with new and improved take.

Haven't tried it but I would think the cleanest way to mount a WML to a Magpul forend is with a Reptilia Torch body, but I'm not sure I'd trust forend to heavy use. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Seems like mounting it on the side would make more sense from an activation standpoint. Did you guys ever try it?
    Not yet. I'm supposed to see @RevolverRob this weekend, but I'm not sure if I'll drag the 870 along to a BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    We got a chance to try it out today. Mounted on the side, with the light body down, the light bezel does not clear the little forward lip on a Magpul handguard. If you can space out a piece of pic rail you could clear it, or you could probably dremel down the handguard a bit a fit it. The nice thing is, the integrated tape switch does fall nicely under the thumb like an old Surefire handguard.

We flipped it around and looked it and it would work okay with the bezel up above the barrel, but it eats into about a 1/3rd or so of the sight picture.

The nice thing is it doesn't seem to effect balance too much overall.

User Tag List