Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire forend battery options

Surefire forend battery options

Can anyone confirm if the Surefire forends (the DSF-870 or the 618LMG) can take a single 18650 battery instead of dual CS123s? The Steamlight Racker TL apparently can, but I'd rather get the Surefire.

I have the 618 with LM2 head and the 18650 is too wide to fit into the light housing.

Quote Originally Posted by marcin View Post
    Can anyone confirm if the Surefire forends (the DSF-870 or the 618LMG) can take a single 18650 battery instead of dual CS123s? The Steamlight Racker TL apparently can, but I'd rather get the Surefire.

You'd need to use two 16340's in the DSF-870 as the batteries are CR123A size, side by side. At least on mine.

(Otherwise a 16650 might have worked if they were installed lengthwise.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter

Just make sure your light is rated for rechargeable. Years ago, I fried a Surefire M600 Scout head because I put in RCR123s that were higher power than standard 123s. I had to replace the head.
    Last edited by Pnut; 08-17-2022 at 10:34 AM.

From Surefire's website (do read all the FAQs regarding batteries):
    Can rechargeable LFP 123A batteries be used in incandescent (non-LED) illumination tools?

We do not recommend it because the slightly higher initial voltage of charged LFP 123A batteries may burn out lamp filaments. Use our rechargeable batteries only with LED illumination tools that also use disposable 123A batteries.

https://www.surefire.com/faq/

Just a suggestion and FYI.

I also caution to research the Streamlight Racker before spending the cash. If I recalled correctly (and I may not) I think @LHS and @TCinVA are not fans of that design, because its ergonomics, well, suck.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I also caution to research the Streamlight Racker before spending the cash. If I recalled correctly (and I may not) I think @LHS and @TCinVA are not fans of that design, because its ergonomics, well, suck.
    The design is basically inimical to push-pull. It's effectively an integral AFG, designed for the support hand to pull rearward against it. This is suboptimal, especially on a shotgun.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

The DSF-870 is not that great. It is heavy, pricey, and the dumb sharp edge behind the light beats up your hand during recoil. There are technique work arounds to the recoil issue but why have the sharp edge to begin with?

I have only handled the streamlight racker and can't say if its any good.

I seriously wonder if anyone at SureFire has actually fired a shotgun with one of their later models mounted on it. They seem to get ergonomically worse every generation.

All of my forend lights still say "Laser Products" on the side, albeit with Malkoff replacement heads. It's not perfect (they're too slick and heavy, though stippling/skateboard tape helps with the former), but it's the least sucky of all options I've found thus far. I'd love to see SF (or Cloud, or Modlight, or SL, or whoever) make a modern, updated light with the ergos of the original LP/SF lights in a lighter-weight package. But sadly, there's not enough market in it, I'd wager. With PDs dropping shotguns in favor of carbines, and the civilian market following suit, there just isn't enough available return on investment.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List