Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry Advice

Another old boomer here.

I am currently in a NPE 8 hours a day, 5 days a week where I pocket carry a LCP II .380 in a sticky holster. It conceals nicely in a pair of Wranglers. It has run flawlessly so far with my reloads and Speer Lawman ball ammo. Recoil and accuracy are acceptable with the Speer ball ammo so that is what I use for carry.

Most of the rest of the time I pocket carry a P365 9mm in a sticky, a 642 in a sticky or a KT p32 in a desantis nemesis depending on how I am dressed an where I am going. I do not have snagging issues. I think this is because I make sure I have the right pistol for each type of pocket. I actually take a pistol into the dressing room when I try on pants.

Yes the draw is a little slow but I do like the fact that I can have my hand on the grip in my pocket when need be. I have been pocket carrying strong side daily in some form or another for several years and I feel naked without something in my pocket.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Those who regularly carry an auto in your pocket, how do you deal with the squared off back of the slide whilst drawing?
    I am aware of your LCP concerns, but I can not deal with a squared off rear like a Glock in the pocket. LCP max was my solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I am aware of your LCP concerns, but I can not deal with a squared off rear like a Glock in the pocket. LCP max was my solution.
    I really like my LCP2's size, trigger and overall shootability. But it simply will not behave even with ball. Since I intend on carrying a pocket gun as a "Surprise, cockfag!" option integrating with another pistol AIWB, I wonder if getting off one shot(at least) would suffice?
    Perhaps one of the old High Standard 2 shot .22 magnum derringers would be an idea. 11 ounces, flat and fastbacked, with 2 fer sure.
    When I was a rookie we had a barber shop get robbed on Morris Avenue by 2 thugs one afternoon. An old customer stood up behind the 2 robbers, drew his High Standard from his pocket and executed both robbers.
    Noice.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    100% - I consider my LCP as a pocket knife alternative, not a proper carry alternative, if that makes sense.
    Makes a ton of sense. I sort of view the Seecamp the same way.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I pocket carry all of the time. I have also had my dress pants modified by a tailor to deepen the pocket. Some pants pockets are too shallow to hold very much. A deeper pocket allows for pocket carry with a pocket holster and gives you better access. You want them made a little deeper--definitely not so deep that the gun's muzzle microtaps you in the knee with every step you take.

Also, super tight pants are not suitable for this modification. But deepening the pockets works with most business slacks and suit pants.

For less than the price of a new Glock you could probably get all of your pants modified.

In my experience, Seecamp .32s are not great gun choices. They often break within a few hundred rounds and then the company takes forever to fix them and is impossible to communicate with. I have had this happen with 3 different Seecamps over the years.

I have never had a Seecamp that either came from the factory that worked OR lasted more than 200 rounds without breaking.

I picked up my first Seecamp .32 in the early 1990s at an out of the way Dallas gun store that has long since closed down. It was $380 at a time when these guns were selling for something like $800+ on the open market, and the company had at least a year waiting list on orders. I put about 200 rounds of Silvertip through the gun and it worked. So when I found a second one at the same store for the same price I bought it, but it did not work. It took 8 months of faxes and letters and certified letters to the factory to get it repaired. I got it back and it worked.

A few years later I was firing the original Seecamp and it broke. I doubt the gun had more than 400 rounds through it. Sent it back to the factory for repair and went through the same thing. Finally after 10 months the factory called me back and told me that they could not fix it because they changed their machinery so they would send me a replacement. I accepted their offer, testfired it for 200 rounds, and called it good. I later wound up selling the older one, while the newer one languished in the safe. In 2013 I took it shooting and it broke within a box of ammo. Sent it back and it took forever to get repaired. It now resides somewhere in my safe. I am not really sure why I still have it, but I am afraid to test fire it for fear it may break. I probably need to sell it along with a number of other things.

Also, as someone who has pushed an automatic pistol in extremis into another man's head and discovered that the disconnector works very effectively, i strongly prefer revolvers for such affrays.

Those who regularly carry an auto in your pocket, how do you deal with the squared off back of the slide whilst drawing?

Is there a particular holster or drawing technique to offset the snaggy profile?
    Current rig for pocket carry is below. P365X fcu in a Sig OEM P365 grip module. No optic (I'm in between optics). Holster is a Vedder Pocket Locker with thumb stud. No particular draw technique. I did some dry work with an optic (*), and no real difference in speeds using a timer with optic mounted. I do like the thumb release, though. I can have my hand on my gun discretely at the gas pump, thumb on the stud, ready to draw from the pocket. Rig weighs 26.1 oz, with 10+1 of Federal HST 147 in the Sig OEM 10 round flat mag.

Name:  IMG_1278.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  99.8 KB

* more on that here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....h-a-MRDS/page2

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I've always defaulted to my 442 for a pocket pistol, but advancing decrepitude makes practicing with it, even loaded with wadcutters, simply too painful, even with oversized rubber grips.
    This is how my all-steel snubby compulsion would have eventually paid dividends had I not cleaned house when I did. What pained me to run through a 642 was tolerable with a 640 and pleasant from an SP101. I now almost need suspenders or bib overalls to tote much iron around, but if that was the worst part of aging out I would be a much happier boomer than I am. An incurable wheelgun booster once informed me that a revolver was tapered on both ends like a football and thus was easier to draw from - and stuff back into - a pocket, all things being equal. I confess that a hammerless snubby did seem to be the answer, at least to my own satisfaction.

Then I got the itch for increased capacity.

After my somewhat ill-advised great revolver purge, I realized that semiauto slickness was not uppermost in many designers' minds. Even some of the old clucks like the CZ27 and FN 1910 will draw better than the squared-off monstrosities of late. Yeah, the relic and curio candidates may have sucky safeties and sights, but snag-resistant lines were apparently at least a consideration for the design teams of old. Too many of the really small modern semiautos that are designed for pocketability are almost impossible for me to get a fast, perfect grip on.

As things stand right now, an SP101 is still the pocket carry gun threatening to pull my khakis down around my ankles as I walk, and my one-off NanX - which remains a thoroughly good gun though flawed in some details - gets the nod for those times the SP is just too big. Both work, but are far from perfect.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Current rig for pocket carry is below. P365X fcu in a Sig OEM P365 grip module. No optic (I'm in between optics). Holster is a Vedder Pocket Locker with thumb stud. No particular draw technique. I did some dry work with an optic (*), and no real difference in speeds using a timer with optic mounted. I do like the thumb release, though. I can have my hand on my gun discretely at the gas pump, thumb on the stud, ready to draw from the pocket. Rig weighs 26.1 oz, with 10+1 of Federal HST 147 in the Sig OEM 10 round flat mag.

Name:  IMG_1278.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  99.8 KB

* more on that here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....h-a-MRDS/page2
    Have you tried the .380?

User Tag List