Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket Carry Advice

Pocket size and opening geometry make a big difference. In this regard, the CCW breakaway khakis are just about perfect for me:

https://ccwbreakaways.com/

The actual breakaway part is gimmicky and doesn't work well for me with a tight belt. The adjustable deep pockets and large vertical opening work very well though. Without using the breakaway snaps, the draw is more a diagonol back and up than vertical. Not describing it well but weirdly just found I really have a hard time doing it smoothly while trying to think about it and go slow. Just doing it on the other hand is fast and smooth. Go figure.

Mostly a revolver carrier so this may or may not help with a bottom feeder.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Pocket size and opening geometry make a big difference. In this regard, the CCW breakaway khakis are just about perfect for me:

https://ccwbreakaways.com/

The actual breakaway part is gimmicky and doesn't work well for me with a tight belt. The adjustable deep pockets and large vertical opening work very well though. Without using the breakaway snaps, the draw is more a diagonol back and up than vertical. Not describing it well but weirdly just found I really have a hard time doing it smoothly while trying to think about it and go slow. Just doing it on the other hand is fast and smooth. Go figure.

Mostly a revolver carrier so this may or may not help with a bottom feeder.
    Have you tried the "anti-print shields"?

I've thought about modifying pants pockets with iron on denim patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You need to talk to @Lost River.

I saw the signal in the sky over the Lost River Mountains..

Maybe some lighter 125 grain practice loads, followed by standard 148 wadcutters for carry would be the ticket.

That is definitely possible.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Have you tried the "anti-print shields"?

I've thought about modifying pants pockets with iron on denim patches.
    I haven't. With a J or K snub, Mika's pocket holster, and strategically place speed strip, I end up with a minimal rectangular print that looks like a wallet or large smart phone(in fact very like the large smart phone print in my left pocket). So it hasn't been needed so much.

With autos the problem is always the fat squared off grip. It would be cool if the print shield helped clean that up. The breakaways do have a stub slit pocket thing on the outside of the pocket liner I think is intended for these. That would probably take care of at least one concern. On one DeSantis holster I have with the detachable 'fly', the 'fly' does a good job breaking up print but interferes with the draw. I suspect a print shield inside the pocket would be similar. Placing something like that outside the pocket lining would probably work better.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Those who regularly carry an auto in your pocket, how do you deal with the squared off back of the slide whilst drawing?
    My LC9s comes out of a pocket smoother than a G43.
    It is reliable but your experience with LCP might bias you against it.

Neither is a soft kicker. I handload which lets me have sub-minor ammo to shoot the G43 in GSSF Pocket.
    Practice with standard ammo in either is best done in short sessions.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

You guys may think I'm crazy but regarding the platform itself I've found the Sig P232 in aluminum frame the best pocket gun I ever owned. Shaped perfectly for the draw, heel mag release, perfectly contoured slide disappears in the pocket. Basically a light weight reliable PPK. Unfortunately they are not produced anymore but can still be found. Another one I'd consider is the Berretta Tomcat still in production.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuefelhunden View Post
    You guys may think I'm crazy but regarding the platform itself I've found the Sig P232 in aluminum frame the best pocket gun I ever owned. Shaped perfectly for the draw, heel mag release, perfectly contoured slide disappears in the pocket. Basically a light weight reliable PPK. Unfortunately they are not produced anymore but can still be found. Another one I'd consider is the Berretta Tomcat still in production.
    Actually, I don't. A friend carried one as a BUG for years.

Very limited time with another friend's P365 made me think it could work for me as a pocket pistol. It's a back burner project, as I'm happy enough with my 442.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Vending Machine Operator
    I've been pocket carrying an LCP in a Desantis Nemesis for just shy of 13 years (LCP Gen 1 for 12, LCP Max for about 8-9 months).

I've got no problem drawing up+rear to catch the "lip" of the holster on my pants. After years practicing that draw it always works and comes clear of the holster.

That said, it's still clumsy and slow compared to even the most rudimentary IWB or OWB rig. That's the nature of pocket carry I've come to accept. It will never be the best option, it's just the one that fits situations where other guns can't be effectively concealed.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Kahr PM9 is less snaggy than Glock 43 or Sig 365 (I have all three).
    Kahr PM9 has less felt recoil than a snub - I'm not a snub fan. (I'm not in the 5 shots is enough club)
    A pocket gun is at its best when it is 2nd option to another gun on belt. (Bonus thought)
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Kahr PM9 is less snaggy than Glock 43 or Sig 365 (I have all three).
    Kahr PM9 has less felt recoil than a snub - I'm not a snub fan. (I'm not in the 5 shots is enough club)
    A pocket gun is at its best when it is 2nd option to another gun on belt. (Bonus thought)
    I agree. I want the ability to ambush with the "Covered Low Ready" as DB puts it.

Today I worked out with my Glock 42 from a pocket A-Holster. Focusing on the pulling back motion of the draw yielded satisfactory results. Once you get shooting, the Glock is certainly the Easy button.

I'm looking into reloading some bunnyfart practice .38s too.

User Tag List