Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharpmaker Question V2

I've always had trouble sharpening my EDC Strider SMF. I'm not talented enough and the blase is too stubborn. I've lived with that semi-sharp butter knife for YEARS. I recently borrowed a Worksharp like blues linked, and the knife is FINALLY sharp after a few minutes on the sander. It's not the prettiest edge. but it's sharp and I couldn't be happier

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    So I have been using my Sharpmaker and been fairly happy. I have added the super fine ceramics in addition to the medium and fine that came with the basic unit. Really solid results with my VG 10 Spydercos and Sandivik 14C28 Kershaw as well as the Clinch Pick.

I have taken to keeping it set up at my office.

Question: can I merely do 10ish passes per side with the super fines on the tri angle edge > as opposed to also the flat?

I seem to have more control that way and I am getting flick of the wrist cuts on copy paper and forearm hair shaving sharpness.

Am I some how damaging the blade by NOT also doing the flat side too?

Thx

DB

I doubt you are damaging anything. I do recommend (based on personal use) getting the diamond rods as well. They’re almost essential for some of the harder steels and I like that they make working with steels like VG-10 go faster.

I’ve had a Spyderco SharpMaker for over t 30 years! My dad bought it after seeing a demo at a fishing show. I remember the guy giving the demo said to clean with warm water and a scotchbrite sponge. I use a grinding wheel cleaner to clean it. It’s basically a big block of rubber.

My sharpMaker was nice but would take time to fix a dull knife or reset the bevel to the SharpMaker’s angles. Great for touchups once the blade was sharpened to the right angle. I don’t know if the design has changed, but my 30 year old model had only one set angle. If you had a steady hand you could adjust the grind angle depending on how you held the blade.

Over the years, I’ve moved on to the WorkSharp Ken Onion sharpener with the blade grinding attachment. The attachment is a MUST if you get this system. Much more control on the angles. Changing the blades edge angle takes minutes and touching up a dulled knife takes even less time.

One other thing I recommend is a good leather strop and some green compound. This is what I’ll use most of the time to restore an edge. The sharpening systems only come out for really dull edges.

It seems that @vcdgrips has abandoned us.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I use the edge of the fine stone of the Spyderco SharpMaker to maintain my blades. A few light passes keeps 'em razor sharp.

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    Au contrare non frare -Blues

Just taking it all in as I now just know enough to be dangerous.

I appreciate all of the input I received in both my initial and follow up thread.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List