Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Gamer

Nah, there were plenty of dudes and dudettes with the collared shirts filled with sponsor names, and gun club names, with matching shorts and color coordinated shoes/hiking boots.

A pair of Kuhl or Carhart jeans, and a T-shirt is about as far as I can go. I mean, sure it will probably be a gun related T-Shirt, and probably a gun related ball cap for sunny or rainy days (no hair), but that's it. I am considering doing the unthinkable and shooting the next match production division with my work belt.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

With Kuhl, Vertx and Mountain Khaki pants you can cover about everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I know I wasn't first, and I know I wasn't last. Somewhere in between. I am guessing top 10 or 15 of about 65 shooters. I had a few procedural/rule penalties, so I am sure that brought me down as well.
    I was 16th. My guess was off by one. Procedural errors/violations killed me on a couple of stages. I need to learn the rules and scoring stuff a little better. Those errors alone would have put me in the top ten had I not screwed them up.

I'll likely shoot production from now on, and see if I can't get some top ten finishes. I do tend to shoot a DA/SA Sig better than most anything else I touch.

Steel Challenge is the next match I will be local for, and I will plan on shooting it production with work gear. We shall see how I measure up.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

A slower pace? What the hell do you shoot that's faster paced than an Open gun in IPSC?
    Welcome to the game though, the rules, while occasionally confusing, can pretty much be a single stage experience. By that I mean, pay close attention to the stage briefing, what it says you can and can't do, and just do that on each stage. If you have any questions, ask em all of the RO and your squad mates, the more the better ;-)
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    A slower pace? What the hell do you shoot that's faster paced than an Open gun in IPSC?
    I was referring to the pace of the shooting event, not the pace of the shooting itself. Figure I spent about 7 hours total, 2 hours the day prior helping set up, 4 hours at the match, and an hour to help tear down. I shot for about 150 seconds total during those 7 hours.

In 7 hours with a range to myself, and just a pistol, I can usually empty an ammo can.

But still, it was fun, friendly, and really beats sitting in my hotel room. I joined the gun club where the matches are hosted so I can go shoot at my pace, shoot whenever I want, and also practice for the various stages. Apparently they post them on the internet prior to the match so people can practice. They also host other games, such as Steel Challenge, Multi-Gun, and Cowboy Action which I am going to try to shoot soon. Just hope they let me in without boots or a hat! They also have shotgun games, which I like to participate in. The facility is really nice, and there is enough room that even when it is "busy", I can have a 25 yard by 20 yard bay to myself. If I want steel, I just pull my truck over to the trailer, load it up, and haul it to my bay. Then return it when I am done.

For $10 per month......it is tough to beat.

I also joined USPSA and Steel Challenge so I could keep the club people happy for the couple of years I am here.

Yeah when you figure the time we actually spend shooting at a match, I think the only sport that spends less time actually doing the sport is top fuel drag racing. If you figure a world Shoot has 36 stages and let's say they are all long courses (which they aren't, that whole 3 2 1 sillineas) and say 20 seconds each, you have 12 minutes of shooting over 6 days, plus travel. Realistically its about half that time or less or really. But it is a ton of fun, especially when you have a good squad. Stages can suck, but if you have good guys to shoot with it makes all the difference.
    Sounds like a dream range, good pricing for member too.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Broke my collarbone on a Sunday afternoon bicycle ride with some friends and forgot to re-check this thread. The vicodin has been working.

Our club is Bone Creek Gun Club. The link will take you to our map page. We're 15 miles north of Pittsburg, KS just off Hwy 69. If you find a USPSA page on our website it is out of date and has incorrect info about our matches. Trying to get our web guy to correct that.

Next two matches are Oct 7th & Nov 4th. I think the November one will be a USPSA classifier with 6 stages if I can get on the ball.

Matches always start at 10 AM and normally we are done by 1:30 PM. Typically we have 5 stages and shoot 125 - 175 rounds total. We're always over 100 rounds and under 200 rounds.

We usually have 20 - 30 shooters and split into 2 or 3 squads depending on numbers that day.

Most of our shooters are LTD or Production with a few 1911 dinosaurs and open gun gamers. Anything USPSA legal is welcome (USPSA sanctioned club) and these matches are always open to the public. Match fee is $15 and a hearty handshake is the prize.

Our range is 15 miles from civilization and has porta-potties and no running water. If you need it, bring it. We do have shade for all but two stages and a roof over our main bay ready line area. In case of constant rain the match will be canceled because part of the range will be under water. I would call the threshold more than 2" of rain in the last 24 hours. If in doubt text my cell to verify go or no-go since phone reception can be spotty and voice calls don't always work if I'm out and about. 620-two-four-nine-O-O-3-7 (trying to confuse the spambots).

If your schedule works out there is also a USPSA club in Lamar, Missouri that has a match on the Second Sunday of each month. They are 30 miles north of Joplin, MO. That club is run by a master or GM (not sure which) USPSA shooter and is top notch by all accounts. I haven't been over yet but a number of my club's shooters have and they're impressed.

I have shot at an indoor USPSA club in Tontitown, AR (north edge of Fayetteville) that has a Monday night match. They were well run too. Don't have any info for them but I'm sure it's out there.

Get some Italian food if you visit Tontitown. Old Italian settlement.
    #RESIST

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    Broke my collarbone on a Sunday afternoon bicycle ride with some friends ...
    Dude! Hope you're feeling better and heal up fast! Stay safe...

At least it was my secondary hand (no such thing as a weak hand LOL). I can still draw and fire SHO but I'd hate to try and maneuver.

I always told my cycling friends with less experience that if they wrecked me it was my own fault for not paying attention and it finally happened after 12 years of training newbies in the art of pacelining. A quick tap of the brakes and a swerve and my front wheel was knocked out from under me. Few more weeks and I'll be good as new with a new bump to show for it. Unfortunately this is my third collarbone in 30 years so I know the drill.

User Tag List