Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polymer rear BUIS

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I have tried to dehorn rear sights before, but never been satisfied with how they turned out. The finish gets ruined, I end up with shiny spots, and they usually look crappy, even before they start rusting.

I prefer a mid guard so my strong thumb hits high and rides down into place, and the high guard interferes with that. And a lot of times the rear sight is on the absolute rear most part of the slide where it attracts fabric.

As a BUIS, I could easily live with an all black Glock OEM rear in the proper height. It is a secondary sighting system and the optic takes most of the abuse of running into things, protecting the rear sight from most hits. I have been using 10-8 rear BUIS sights lately and they are far more shirt friendly than Ameriglo rears, but I think polymer would be even easier on fabric.
    Before going through the expense and experimentation on a plastic sight I'd pay a professional to dehorn a sight and refinish it.

Ultimately it's the shape of the sight which is causing you grief.

This is also one of the benefits of irons-forward layouts with direct mill slides.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Before going through the expense and experimentation on a plastic sight I'd pay a professional to dehorn a sight and refinish it.

Ultimately it's the shape of the sight which is causing you grief.

This is also one of the benefits of irons-forward layouts with direct mill slides.
    With three exceptions, I do the rear iron forward:

1) MOS

2) SRO

3) Acro, which when all the way rear interferes with a Safariland RDS hood.

Name:  E2D26B81-779C-4ACE-97A5-1CEAC28DE798.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  78.3 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I agree with those who believe that the shape will make more of a difference than the material. Most of the holes in my clothing (and one in my driver's side car seat) have been made by guns or other gear which is made out of polymer. The only exceptions has been a pocket-carried gun with a custom rear sight with a sharp top edge, or a sharp hammer spur on a revolver.

Size, shape, and position are more important for protecting fabric than polymer v. metal.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Black sharpie?
    I’ve thought about that, but I think it would be easier to do the work on a flat sheet of decal and cut it out than making straight edges or templates that fit on the recessed front lense of the optic and then trying to apply sharpie around that.

I have sent my 1911 slide out to CHPWS, for a direct milling, and installation of a Trijicon RMRcc.
    I really do not like the look of the rear sight forward of the optic, so before I have that done, I'm going to try this:

https://chpws.com/product/pmm-indepe...-trijicon-rmr/

If it works, it'll be brilliant, if it doesn't, it's only a $55.00 venture.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

An etched reticle?

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I have sent my 1911 slide out to CHPWS, for a direct milling, and installation of a Trijicon RMRcc.
    I really do not like the look of the rear sight forward of the optic, so before I have that done, I'm going to try this:

https://chpws.com/product/pmm-indepe...-trijicon-rmr/

If it works, it'll be brilliant, if it doesn't, it's only a $55.00 venture.
    So my slide is back.
    Here's the rear sight installed in the rmrcc

Name:  20220823_184104.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  26.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    So my slide is back.
    Here's the rear sight installed in the rmrcc

Name:  20220823_184104.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  26.5 KB
    I believe the purpose of those holes is to allow water to drain from in front of the emitter.

That is their intended use.

User Tag List