Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polymer rear BUIS

Polymer rear BUIS

A major pet peeve I have, is all the holes in my t shirts, especially wool ones, caused by sharp rear sights poking in the appendix position. BUIS rear sights seem especially bad, given they are taller.

How hard would it be to make a high quality polymer rear sight, that would work well as a rear sight, and be kinder to your clothing?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

10 or 15 minutes with a Dremel should fix the problem

I wish more were integrated

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A major pet peeve I have, is all the holes in my t shirts, especially wool ones, caused by sharp rear sights poking in the appendix position. BUIS rear sights seem especially bad, given they are taller.

How hard would it be to make a high quality polymer rear sight, that would work well as a rear sight, and be kinder to your clothing?
    Trying to be genuinely helpful here and not snarky.

Have you considered asking your holster maker to make a higher free wall or shield?

Something like this but more extension:

Name:  DA51CBA2-9BBF-4731-988D-F4E751E40BD3.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  38.9 KB

Imagine extending the free wall up 3/4”.

Or adding a Velcro neoprene wrap / guard on top that would pull off when gun is drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

It wouldn't be difficult at all. Glock does it and has a good method for retaining the rear sight.

Durability might be a concern with a taller rear sight. Additional leverage would make it easier to push the sight out.

Lower cost domestic tooling for this would be a few grand. Or you could look to one of the online 3D printing houses and get an SLS or FDM part in a high strength resin.

Of course an existing steel sight that has been heavily radiused would be easier, cheaper, and faster.

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried to dehorn rear sights before, but never been satisfied with how they turned out. The finish gets ruined, I end up with shiny spots, and they usually look crappy, even before they start rusting.

I prefer a mid guard so my strong thumb hits high and rides down into place, and the high guard interferes with that. And a lot of times the rear sight is on the absolute rear most part of the slide where it attracts fabric.

As a BUIS, I could easily live with an all black Glock OEM rear in the proper height. It is a secondary sighting system and the optic takes most of the abuse of running into things, protecting the rear sight from most hits. I have been using 10-8 rear BUIS sights lately and they are far more shirt friendly than Ameriglo rears, but I think polymer would be even easier on fabric.

Site Supporter
    I’ve wondered why nobody makes a “rear sight” decal that you could just stick to the front of the optic window.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I’ve wondered why nobody makes a “rear sight” decal that you could just stick to the front of the optic window.
    Black sharpie?

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    There is that company that makes a metal shim that rests over the lens base to create the rear sight... Can't remember who it is right now but I think it was designed for the ACRO.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    There is that company that makes a metal shim that rests over the lens base to create the rear sight... Can't remember who it is right now but I think it was designed for the ACRO.
    https://ateiguns.com/product/atei-sh...oint-acro-p-1/

Might be what you're thinking of. Only works for ATEi mill jobs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    https://ateiguns.com/product/atei-sh...oint-acro-p-1/

Might be what you're thinking of. Only works for ATEi mill jobs though.
    Yep! That's it. No reason that couldn't be made for other optics/cuts, unless it's patent protected, but it would probably need to be incorporated into direct milled cuts... With plate mounts it should be easy.

User Tag List