Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RDS Policies

In respect to RDS Policies...
    My department is in the very early stages of getting RDS, basically the information gathering stage. Admin seem enthusiastic about it. A few instructors that have RDS equipped guns always make sure they're available at range days, etc. Quotes are being obtained for guns, sights, and holsters. Everything was moving pretty smoothly and then today an email is sent out saying RDS are no longer authorized for off-duty carry. Explanation was we don't have RDS instructors yet so RDS can't be carried (off duty). This basically effects 4 people, all instructors, from a 100 person PD.

My question is for those of you whose agency is just beginning the RDS journey or those who don't issue RDS....

Are you authorized to use RDS on your OFF-DUTY guns?

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    My department is in the very early stages of getting RDS, basically the information gathering stage. Admin seem enthusiastic about it. A few instructors that have RDS equipped guns always make sure they're available at range days, etc. Quotes are being obtained for guns, sights, and holsters. Everything was moving pretty smoothly and then today an email is sent out saying RDS are no longer authorized for off-duty carry. Explanation was we don't have RDS instructors yet so RDS can't be carried (off duty). This basically effects 4 people, all instructors, from a 100 person PD.

My question is for those of you whose agency is just beginning the RDS journey or those who don't issue RDS....

We were able to carry them off duty before on duty as long as it was inspected and you passed qual. This was while waiting for duty guns and optics to arrive and go through the transition class.

My old org isn't issuing them yet but there are guys carrying PMO off-duty.

I'm guessing that my carrying an optic on duty in 2012 when most of us really didn't have a clue about them, never mind there not being any instructor classes, would have short-circuited a number of badministrators.

We stopped dealing with off duty guns probably five years ago. We were wasting a ton of time on it at every range trip. New policy says you either carry your duty gun and credentials or carry anything you want under authority of a permit (or now permitless carry). There was a lot of hand-wringing about it when we started trying to make it happen but ultimately it was approved by our admin and city legal staff. We had identified a couple very large agencies that had similar policies in our research although I am struggling to think of what cities now.

Prior to that change the off-duty gun policy was something like .380 to .45 caliber, 2" barrel or longer, five shots or greater, and "approved by a firearms instructor", so technically optics were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    We stopped dealing with off duty guns probably five years ago. We were wasting a ton of time on it at every range trip. New policy says you either carry your duty gun and credentials or carry anything you want under authority of a permit (or now permitless carry). There was a lot of hand-wringing about it when we started trying to make it happen but ultimately it was approved by our admin and city legal staff. We had identified a couple very large agencies that had similar policies in our research although I am struggling to think of what cities now.

Prior to that change the off-duty gun policy was something like .380 to .45 caliber, 2" barrel or longer, five shots or greater, and "approved by a firearms instructor", so technically optics were fine.
    Our off duty policy is very similar to your prior policy other than no "single action/1911" guns is included in ours. I'm just a little miffed about it considering the handful of guys, including me, that carry optics off-duty are instructors and clearly meet the conditions of our policy yet suddenly, without much explanation, optics are no longer authorized. Clearly the "good idea fairy" made a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    PM me your work email and I’ll send you ours. We authorize the RMR and a couple Holosuns. I’m testing the Steiner. Probably gonna add it. A neighboring department is issuing the Steiners.
    not the OP but sent you a PM sir.

Ethan

We've authorized RDS since 2018, and will likely be issuing G17/ACRO P2 in the future. If anyone needs help with getting a proposal or policy going, PM me and send me your work email. Aaron Cowan's work is the best place to start:

https://www.sagedynamics.org/

I would also recommend Jim Dexter:

https://www.tacticallysound.org/

He will send you a Dropbox link with several policy examples and other materials.

User Tag List