Thread: Need help identifying rifle

Need help identifying rifle

Folks-

I need help identifying the exact model of rifle here (I’m not much of a rifle guy). Some kind of AK, I’m assuming.

It is marked:

SAIGA
    5.45 x 39
    Made in Russia by IZHMASH

The importer is RWC Group LLC of Tullytown, PA.

@HCM

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Folks-

I need help identifying the exact model of rifle here (I’m not much of a rifle guy). Some kind of AK, I’m assuming.

It is marked:

SAIGA
    5.45 x 39
    Made in Russia by IZHMASH

The importer is RWC Group LLC of Tullytown, PA.

@HCM

AK-74 variant. Don't really know much more than that but at least a starting point...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    It’s a cut down Saiga sporter rifle. Imported before Russian guns became a No No. These are basically sporting versions of the AK-100 series made by the Kalashnikov Concern in Russia. Looks like a previous owner had begun to convert it back to its “de-banned” version but it still has the original hand guard. Then it fell into turd hands and the barrel (with front sight) was hacked off. In the right hands a Saiga can be converted back to an AK-100 series gun in appearance. You can see where the hole for the factory trigger guard was not filled when they moved the trigger group forward in order to allow the pistol grip to fit and the sporter butt stock has been removed.

They were available in multiple calibers including 5.45x39, 5.56Nato, and 7.62X39.

Here’s how it looked like from the factory gunbroker before a turd got hold of it.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 08-12-2022 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    It’s a cut down Saiga sporter rifle. Imported before Russian guns became a No No. These are basically sporting versions of the AK-100 series made by the Kalashnikov Concern in Russia. Looks like a previous owner had begun to convert it back to its “de-banned” version but it still has the original hand guard. Then it fell into turd hands and the barrel (with front sight) was hacked off. In the right hands a Saiga can be converted back to an AK-100 series gun in appearance. You can see where the hole for the factory trigger guard was not filled when they moved the trigger group forward in order to allow the pistol grip to fit and the sporter butt stock has been removed.

They were available in multiple calibers including 5.45x39, 5.56Nato, and 7.62X39.

Here’s how it looked like from the factory gunbroker before a turd got hold of it.
    This is perfect, appreciate it. That’s a big help.

You may find it hard to believe, but the possessor was a prohibited person.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post

I agree. Looks like a cut down Saiga sporter. The extra holes in the receiver appear to be left over from its original configuration.

It was this

Before it was that...

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

User Tag List