Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger & Trigger weight

Site Supporter

Trigger & Trigger weight

Hello, I'm a 65 yr old guy who's been pistol shooting for about a year and a half. I already own three. My main shooter is a M&P 9mm 2.0 4.25". I think I'd like to have an Apex, flat faced trigger installed, but I don't have any idea of what weight to have it set. I'm thinking four pounds would comfortable and safe weight, but have no point of reference. Do gun shops have some sort of adjustable trigger jig device that can be set to various weights so customers can test the trigger weights to determine what weight would best suit them?

Thank you, Danko--

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    Do gun shops have some sort of adjustable trigger jig device that can be set to various weights so customers can test the trigger weights to determine what weight would best suit them?

Thank you, Danko--
    I travel around the US a lot, and I’ve been in a few gun shops. If they do, I’ve never seen or heard of one.

Are you not happy with the M&P hinged trigger? I wasn’t a big fan of mine.
    Last edited by RJ; 08-12-2022 at 06:56 PM.

Id wager you likely know more about trigger pull weight than an employee at a random Large gun shop... No disrespect to them intended.

Your gun is likely in the 5lbs range in stock form. IMO i don't find a palpable difference between mid 4s and mid 5s if the break is good... and the 2.0 is decent as is. The way your finger interfaces with the trigger will probably provide a more noticeable change than the overall break poundage.

Finding an m&p with a flat trigger or just adding that part alone to your gun may resolve your dislikes.

Site Supporter
    I'm surprised no one has created a trigger pull weight device. Perhaps with all of your experience you could design one.

I don't like the curve of the M&P trigger. The first thing my finger contacts when moving to the trigger is its end. The trigger has to move a bit before my finger makes complete contact. I think the trigger could be a little smoother too. I pressed the trigger on a Shield EZ and it felt great. It had a flat face trigger, it moved very smoothly and had a crisp break. I'd like my trigger to work like that one.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for your response! You may well be on the money with your statement. My trigger curves too much for my liking. When I move to the trigger this first thing my finger contacts is the bottom end of it. I have to move the trigger a tad before my finger is able to make complete contact with it. I find that irritating. A little smoother, flat faced trigger would likely resole my issue.

Thank you for your response! You may well be on the money with your statement. My trigger curves too much for my liking. When I move to the trigger this first thing my finger contacts is the bottom end of it. I have to move the trigger a tad before my finger is able to make complete contact with it. I find that irritating. A little smoother, flat faced trigger would likely resole my issue.
    I have a metal Apex flat trigger that installed and didn’t like in my 2.0. It was replace with the stock unit as it was in performance center model.

Happy to ship it to you no charge.

Keep it if you like it. PM your preferred shipping intel.

I'm surprised no one has created a trigger pull weight device. Perhaps with all of your experience you could design one.
    Trigger Pull Guages are a real thing, both mechanical and digital, it's just not something many gunstores are going to invest in for customers who wouldn't even understand it. You can buy them from almost any gun parts supplier.

Site Supporter
    Thank you! I came across one online one day. I probably should buy one to get a good idea of the weighs of my triggers.

Site Supporter
    Hi Duke, thank you for the offer. I'm new to the site so I'm not aware of private messages and/or how to use/perform them.

Site Supporter
    Hi Duke, thank you for the offer. I'm new to the site and don't know how to use it properly. I have no idea of how private messages work

User Tag List