Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bolke on Frank Hamer's guns

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    The Bearded One has been on vacation. I shall ask upon his return later this week.
    Vacation?!? Dude's retired; every day is vacation..

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Vacation?!? Dude's retired; every day is vacation..

Site Supporter
    This thread and podcast made me re-watch The Highwaymen I have dispised Kevin Costner since I met him on the set of Wyatt Earp in the early 90s. He was a huge dick, and despite owning a copy of the movie, I have not seen it.

Watching The Highwaymen I forget I am watching Kenvin Costner. And Woody Harrelson is as enjoyable as when he was on Cheers, cause I have liked almost nothing he has done since.

Not a documentary. Like my wife's favorite move, Tombstone, also not a documentary.

pqt

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    This thread and podcast made me re-watch The Highwaymen I have dispised Kevin Costner since I met him on the set of Wyatt Earp in the early 90s. He was a huge dick, and despite owning a copy of the movie, I have not seen it.

Watching The Highwaymen I forget I am watching Kenvin Costner. And Woody Harrelson is as enjoyable as when he was on Cheers, cause I have liked almost nothing he has done since.

Not a documentary. Like my wife's favorite move, Tombstone, also not a documentary.

pqt
    I actually prefer Wyatt Earp to Tombstone.
    I do wish the Dialogue Coach, Art Director and Costumer for Tombstone had worked on Wyatt Earp, because it has a bland 1950s Oater Western design.
    I think Tombstone captures the zeitgeist of the Boomtowns perfectly, while Kasdan and Costner portray Earp's cold moral ambiguity accurately. Particularly in the "Vengeance Ride" segment, where Tombstone shows it as a battle of Good and Evil, as opposed to a series of extra-judicial killings for payback.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I do wish the Dialogue Coach, Art Director and Costumer for Tombstone had worked on Wyatt Earp, because it has a bland 1950s Oater Western design.
    I think Tombstone captures the zeitgeist of the Boomtowns perfectly, while Kasdan and Costner portray Earp's cold moral ambiguity accurately. Particularly in the "Vengeance Ride" segment, where Tombstone shows it as a battle of Good and Evil, as opposed to a series of extra-judicial killings for payback.
    Yeah, but Tombstone has Val Kilmer as the Best Doc Holiday Ever. Wyatt Earp, OTOH, can be judged somewhat harshly for the omission.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Yeah, but Tombstone has Val Kilmer as the Best Doc Holiday Ever. Wyatt Earp, OTOH, can be judged somewhat harshly for the omission.
    A truly great performance!
    But Quaid nailed the historical Doc.
    Apropos of The Gunfight at the OK Corral, check out the book Epitaph by Russell.
    Read the preview available on Amazon.
    9 thoughtful paragraphs about understanding the 30 second fight.

That and the prequel Doc are among the best told and accurate fictional portrayals of those characters and events.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, my reasons are personal, and I my be moderating, based on age. He was a HUGE dick, though and he already got money from me, so...

Really enjoyed The Highwaymen, though, and am reading the book now. Bolke"s interview makes it all the more interesting,

pat

If you ever listen or read Bob Boze Bell his opinion is the original Tombstone script written by the original director Kevin Jarre, who was fired before the film was complete, is the best he’s ever read.

One of my favorite BBB lines is “Never take a drunken dentist to make a misdemeanor arrest”.

About 9:05 he starts talking about Costner buying out stuff so Tombstone wouldn’t have it. Which funnily backfired…
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

A truly great performance!
    But Quaid nailed the historical Doc.
    Apropos of The Gunfight at the OK Corral, check out the book Epitaph by Russell.
    Read the preview available on Amazon.
    9 thoughtful paragraphs about understanding the 30 second fight.

That and the prequel Doc are among the best told and accurate fictional portrayals of those characters and events.
    Brief thread diversion:

Thanks for that, feudist.

I've recently discovered an interest in the Old American West. Began with the Larry McMurty series ("Dead Man's Walk", "Comanche Moon", and "Lonesome Dove"). Now looking for the next books. Your observations arrived at exactly the right time. Have "Doc" and "Epitaph" on order.

Cordially,
    Duces

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    If you ever listen or read Bob Boze Bell his opinion is the original Tombstone script written by the original director Kevin Jarre, who was fired before the film was complete, is the best he’s ever read.

One of my favorite BBB lines is “Never take a drunken dentist to make a misdemeanor arrest”.

About 9:05 he starts talking about Costner buying out stuff so Tombstone wouldn’t have it. Which funnily backfired…
    Great find!

User Tag List