Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Bolke on Frank Hamer's guns

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I was looking up Remington Model 8s five minutes after finishing the podcast.
    Way back in the mid-late 1980s, the San Francisco Gun Exchange had a rack in the center of the store full of Model 8s, Model 81s, and every variation of Savage 99, in practically every caliber they were ever offered in.
    I am a fool for not buying one of each then. (I loved the octagon barreled 99 takedowns in 300 Savage with the crescent buttplates, and the myriad model 8s in .35 Remington with Marbles peep sights.)

There was a CA Dept of Corrections Model 8 in .35 Remington with the 15 round magazine up on the wall. IIRC, it was an Alcatraz guard piece.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Way back in the mid-late 1980s, the San Francisco Gun Exchange had a rack in the center of the store full of Model 8s, Model 81s, and every variation of Savage 99, in practically every caliber they were ever offered in.
    I am a fool for not buying one of each then. (I loved the octagon barreled 99 takedowns in 300 Savage with the crescent buttplates, and the myriad model 8s in .35 Remington with Marbles peep sights.)

There was a CA Dept of Corrections Model 8 in .35 Remington with the 15 round magazine up on the wall. IIRC, it was an Alcatraz guard piece.
    I can say that about so many things.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

As I keep working my way through the Boessenecker book, I am realizing how much I had skipped, during my first time through it, which was before seeing the Highwaymen movie. I am now reading the part of his Ranger career, when he was Captain Hamer, during the Governor Hobby era. I am also realizing just how much of a composite character that Woody Harrelson’s Maney Gault actually is, as so many things, done by so many different Rangers, along the border, have been written into Harrelson’s part.

One thing for certain, is that the movie’s “Candelario” is also highly fictionalized, taking elements from multiple incidents, only one of which, it seems, involved then-Sergeant Frank Hamer. This, in effect, makes the screen play’s Frank Hamer a composite character, though far less composite than Maney Gault’s character.

Thus far, I have not found that Frank Hamer was ever at a place called Candelario, and the part I am reading is past the “Bandit War” era. I am not finding a Candelario, to be a place name, in the USA, or in the border regions of Mexico, using the map app in this iPad.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-20-2022 at 12:33 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    As I keep working my way through the Boessenecker book, I am realizing how much I had skipped, during my first time through it, which was before seeing the Highwaymen movie. I am now reading the part of his Ranger career, when he was Captain Hamer, during the Governor Hobby era. I am also realizing just how much of a composite character that Woody Harrelson’s Maney Gault actually is, as so many things, done by so many different Rangers, along the border, have been written into Harrelson’s part.

One thing for certain, is that the movie’s “Candelario” is also highly fictionalized, taking elements from multiple incidents, only one of which, it seems, involved then-Sergeant Frank Hamer. This, in effect, makes the screen play’s Frank Hamer a composite character, though far less composite than Maney Gault’s character.

Thus far, I have not found that Frank Hamer was ever at a place called Candelario, and the part I am reading is past the “Bandit War” era. I am not finding a Candelario, to be a place name, in the USA, or in the border regions of Mexico, using the map app in this iPad.
    I was interested in that incident too.

It seems to be based on a composite of these 2 events(plus fictionalizing "El Gringo Wrongo")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porvenir_massacre_(1918)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candel...ursion_of_1919

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I am not finding a Candelario, to be a place name, in the USA, or in the border regions of Mexico, using the map app in this iPad.
    It's on the border, upriver of Presidio (Ojinaga).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candelaria,_Texas

Gringop

"Word has spread to Ojinaga, where the Conchos tumble down
    And a man's death can come swifter than an arrow
    That although the law be empty words, still justice can be found
    For no border stops the Gringo Pistolero!"
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I was interested in that incident too.

It seems to be based on a composite of these 2 events(plus fictionalizing "El Gringo Wrongo")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porvenir_massacre_(1918)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candel...ursion_of_1919
    Ah, OK, I see that the map app only showed results for “Candelario,” and did not “think” to mention Candelaria. Lots of conflation certainly happened, in the screen play. The Porvenir massacre was quite notorious, but, notably Frank Hamer was not there.

The “manos arriba” story DID seem to have happened, with Sergeant Hamer being there, but it involved six armed, very dangerous smugglers, who were moving with guns in their hands, rather than a band of bandits. Notably, Maney Gault was NOT there. Gault did not become a Ranger until 1929, IIRC, well after the incidents that were conflated into the screen play’s Candelario.

Back to the matter of Maney Gault being a composite character, it appears that some of the real-life Deputy Alcorn was written into Woody Harrelson’s Gault, and also written into Deputy Hinton’s role. Deputy Alcorn was, of course, a role in the screenplay/movie, but with almost no lines. The real-life Maney Gault, who was employed by the Highway Patrol at the time, actually entered the hunt for Barrow/Parker/Methvin quite late, which, of course, does not fit the narrative of a “buddy” movie, with two aging lawmen chasing a youthful gang led by a romantic young couple.

Of course, I must accept that this was a screenplay/movie, not a documentary, and that The Highwaymen did much better justice to Captain Frank Hamer than that forgettable movie with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    It's on the border, upriver of Presidio (Ojinaga).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candelaria,_Texas

Gringop

"Word has spread to Ojinaga, where the Conchos tumble down
    And a man's death can come swifter than an arrow
    That although the law be empty words, still justice can be found
    For no border stops the Gringo Pistolero!"
    Thanks. The map app was not smart enough to show Candelaria, when I searched for Candelario. I was not smart enough to enter a standard computer search.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I shall ask.
    Any word?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Any word?
    The Bearded One has been on vacation. I shall ask upon his return later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post

That was a wonderful place.

User Tag List