Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bolke on Frank Hamer's guns

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    That .30 Cutts Compensator would be interesting to ride. If proportionately louder than on a shotgun, though it is a real loudener.
    For anyone interested (shooting at 11:45):

He also has some videos on some of the other related weapons.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thanks for looking that up.
    I recall standing too near a Skeet shooter with a 12 ga Cutts and could feel the blast fluttering my shoelaces.
    Shotgun Cutts were commonly installed with the slots oriented up and down, not side to side like this rifle.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Listened to it this morning. I could have listened to another 3 hours, especially if he’d started going down the path of other old gunfighter policemen.

I really wish he’d do a non-FB blog because I don’t FB…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Listened to it this morning. I could have listened to another 3 hours, especially if he’d started going down the path of other old gunfighter policemen.

I really wish he’d do a non-FB blog because I don’t FB…
    Definitely.

Bryce, Winstead, Clarence Hurt from the Oklahoma PD Gunfighter League, as well as Mudgett and Helms from LAPD and Cirillo and Allard from NYPD Stakeout.

Hell, Birmingham PD still had some ferocious old gunfighters when I started. My Gunsmith Harry Deal smoked 3 armed robbers one Halloween night in the 70s.

John and Ed Cousins killed more bad guys than cancer in the 70s and 80s.

DB noted that Frank Hamer ALWAYS carried Old Lucky with him. The Boessenecker book indicated that the young Ranger Private Hamer was mentored by a more-senior Ranger, who never consumed alcohol, an example that Frank Hamer, himself, followed, from that time forward. That is, of course, a best practice, if one always carries a firearm. I admire Frank Hamer’s example. (I am not trying to preach, and am not saying that none of us can control our drinking, while carrying.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I downloaded the podcast and listened to it at 1.25x. I had read some things about Frank Hamer, but I didn't know that his preferred distance for target shooting with a handgun was 100 yards.

Texas Ranger: The Epic Life of Frank Hamer, the Man Who Killed Bonnie and Clyde by John Boessenecker is 99 cents for Kindle.

Steph - ya beat me to it re: the book. An excellent read that made me appreciate how rare a man like Frank Hamer was in his time and place.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

I found it very interesting that DB believes that Frank Hamer’s second handgun, at the final gun fight, a “.38 Super,” was probably a large-framed S&W Outdoorsman or Heavy Duty, chambered for what was then advertised as “.38 Super Police.” The cartridge terminology “.38-44,” that we use today, was not how it was marketed, in 1934.

It is true, of course, that a prominent author, probably Zane Grey, if I remember correctly, wrote that Frank Hamer had a Colt .38 Super, that he toted, in addition to Old Lucky, but that was in an outdoorsman/hunting/target-shooting context, not a gunfighting context. (An old photo exists, that shows what appears to be an autopistol, on Frank Hamer’s left side.)

It makes sense that Frank Hamer would use a Heavy Duty or Outdoorsman revolver, when he was certainly known to have carried a big bore S&W revolver, in a shoulder rig, as a second handgun, when penetrating V-8 Fords was not the mission.

I find it interesting that by favoring single-action sixguns, chambered for .45 Colt, and .357 Magnum Ruger GP100, Speed Six, and Security Six revolvers, I had arrived at a similar conclusion as Frank Hamer, for a two-handgun set-up, for environments inhabited by thugs in automobiles. (My index fingers are not long enough to achieve proper placement for DA shooting, with N-Frame revolvers, so L-Frames, and those Rugers, make plenty of sense.) Today, it is Alief thugs, and various other thugs, with Dracos, rather than BARs.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    I just got a good laugh out of the fact that Clyde Barrow stole all of the most advanced weaponry from all these different armories and so forth but in the end he wound up getting clapped by some local hayseed with a loaner deer rifle.

Perfection.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

DB is doing another episode with Guns any time that will be almost as fun as this one was.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

This was spectacularly great. Well worth every minute.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List