Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Bolke on Frank Hamer's guns

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Brief thread diversion:

Thanks for that, feudist.

I've recently discovered an interest in the Old American West. Began with the Larry McMurty series ("Dead Man's Walk", "Comanche Moon", and "Lonesome Dove"). Now looking for the next books. Your observations arrived at exactly the right time. Have "Doc" and "Epitaph" on order.

Cordially,
    Duces
    Look at My Sixty Years on the Plains by William Hamilton and Six Years with the Texas Rangers by James Gillett. Both are great reads!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Brief thread diversion:

Thanks for that, feudist.

I've recently discovered an interest in the Old American West. Began with the Larry McMurty series ("Dead Man's Walk", "Comanche Moon", and "Lonesome Dove"). Now looking for the next books. Your observations arrived at exactly the right time. Have "Doc" and "Epitaph" on order.

Cordially,
    Duces
    Empire of The Summer Moon covers the history and places that the Lonesome Dove series took place in, with a primary focus on the Comanche Indians. It should be high on your list.

https://www.amazon.com/Empire-of-Sum...2081440&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Empire of The Summer Moon covers the history and places that the Lonesome Dove series took place in, with a primary focus on the Comanche Indians. It should be high on your list.

https://www.amazon.com/Empire-of-Sum...2081440&sr=8-1
    I've got that on hold at the library.

T.R.Fehrenbach's Comanches: The Destruction of a People is a magisterial account of the tribe by a native Texan.
    Written long before revisionism and political correctness it tells the sad, inevitable fate of a stone aged warrior people clashing with an unstoppable European migration westward and the bloody horrors each side inflicted on the other.
    The Comanches depopulated Northern Mexico, causing the Spanish to bet on an Anglo Texas as a buffer state and actually stopped the westward expansion for a few years.
    Only historically low birthrates and the repeating firearm stopped them from being the heirs of Genghis Khan.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    If you ever listen or read Bob Boze Bell his opinion is the original Tombstone script written by the original director Kevin Jarre, who was fired before the film was complete, is the best he’s ever read.

One of my favorite BBB lines is “Never take a drunken dentist to make a misdemeanor arrest”.

About 9:05 he starts talking about Costner buying out stuff so Tombstone wouldn’t have it. Which funnily backfired…
    Awesome. Dick move behind the scenes reinforces the DICK appellation. After watching The Highwaymen, and an avid (if Mrs imposed....errr...encouraged) fan of Tombstone, I may have to watch Wyatt Earp.

pat

User Tag List