Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Single-Six Single-Ten Thread

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    AFA a M2 version, I don’t think they did one but someone makes aftermarket cylinders for the Single series so one might be available. Not sure if there’s a difference in bore sizes like the LR/WMR but there probably is. I’ll have to dig through my links tonight and find the maker.
    Found it: Borchardt Rifle Company

6 Shot, 22 LR, $100
    8 Shot, 22 LR, $120
    10 Shot, 22 LR, $139.95
    6 Shot, 22 Mag, $100
    8 Shot, 22 Mag, $120
    6 Shot, 17 Cal. HM2, $100
    8 Shot, 17 Cal. HM2, $120
    8 Shot, 17 Cal. HMR, $120
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    So true.

That said, the journey often starts with CCI mini mag.

JMO.
    The first three loads I try in a new .22 are CCI Mini-mag, CCI standard velocity and Aguila Super Extra HV. Rare to find a gun that won’t shoot one of those with acceptable accuracy. If you want to invest in match ammo, I’d start with Wolf Match Target or Aguila Match Rifle, both of which are reasonably priced for match grade stuff.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

BTW, you enablers get to keep your cards from the Enablers Union for another month. I spent part of each evening Fri-Sun stalking GB and GI for interesting Single Sixes and am now watching about 18 between the 2 venues. They range from the mid-50s to the 90s, from 4 5/8” to 9 1/2”, single and dual cylinders plus LR and WMR only.

I didn’t fall off the wagon, I bloody well catapulted myself off.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

A few years back Ruger made a very limited run of non-convertible Bisley Single Sixes with 5.5" barrels. I picked one up as an understudy to my .45 Colt Bisley; 40gr Mini-Mags don't sting as much as 310gr magnum-level .45 Colt loads

One thing a single-action .22 will teach you that few others firearms will is the importance of follow-through. You can have the world's greatest trigger press but if you don't maintain sight alignment through the hammer-fall it doesn't matter.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    BTW, you enablers get to keep your cards from the Enablers Union for another month. I spent part of each evening Fri-Sun stalking GB and GI for interesting Single Sixes and am now watching about 18 between the 2 venues. They range from the mid-50s to the 90s, from 4 5/8” to 9 1/2”, single and dual cylinders plus LR and WMR only.

I didn’t fall off the wagon, I bloody well catapulted myself off.
    My $0.02 on the breed (generalities... YMMV):

The .22 WMR rounds will be slightly more accurate than .22LR, as well as louder and a lot more expensive.

The longer the barrel, the more using .22 WMR makes sense.

The sixguns generate fewer complaints WRT timing and general operational issues than the ten-rounders.

Smooth factory wooden grips can be oddly slippery under some circumstances.

That is it off the top of my head. I had a love/hate relationship with the Single line for many years, and still get a pang for one now and then.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Agreed on the WMR. Not really sure why I want a scoped “pocket rifle” but I figure it’s like my interest in dedicated target revolvers and 1911s. I don’t really have a “need” but I admire the concept and find them cool.

Didn’t know that about the 10 shot timing but it makes sense.

Having had a few 22 WMR Single Sixes, including one with a 9.5" barrel, I prefer 32 H&R handloaded down out of a 7.5" .327 Single Seven. Less muzzle blast and better accuracy, in my experience, and no concerns about ammunition variability/availability, which have both been issues for me with 22 WMR. Here's my current 32 H&R Magnum Single Six, a Bisley from a run Ruger made a few years ago. I call it my "Star Trek" Single-Six because the light-colored wood in the laminate grips looks like the Federation symbol from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Didn’t know that about the 10 shot timing but it makes sense.
    I don't think it is a widespread issue by any means.

That said, I do wonder why - historically - about all anyone tried to cram into a .22 revolver was eight or nine rounds? In my H&R and IJ using days, I thought nine or even eight shots before reloading was luxury plinking, and ten would have been serendipity.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Good point on availability, hadn’t really considered it. AFA variability I’ve got one of Paco Kelly’s Accu’rizr tools and was thinking about bore size variation rather than actual load variations.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I don't think it is a widespread issue by any means.

That said, I do wonder why - historically - about all anyone tried to cram into a .22 revolver was eight or nine rounds? In my H&R and IJ using days, I thought nine or even eight shots before reloading was luxury plinking, and ten would have been serendipity.
    I think there’s potential any time a design deviates from the established 5 or 6 rounds. I had an early Single Seven and it had a timing issue right out of the box.

User Tag List