Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Armed subject attempting to breach Cincinnati FBI office; pursuit, shots fired

Site Supporter
    From the Washington Post.

A person using Shiffer’s name on TruthSocial, Trump’s social media site, posted a “call to arms” message shortly after Monday’s FBI search became public.

“People, this is it,” the message reads. “Leave work tomorrow as soon as the gun shop/Army-Navy store/pawn shop opens, get whatever you need to be ready for combat. We must not tolerate this one. They have been conditioning us to accept tyranny and think we can’t do anything for 2 years. This time we must respond with force.”

The Washington Post could not confirm whether the account actually belonged to Shiffer.
    https://archive.ph/nLTW2

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    From the Washington Post.

https://archive.ph/nLTW2
    Can't be the same guy. There's no mention of Home Depot or Hilti in that manifesto.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/12/u...smid=url-share

Ohio Man Was on the F.B.I.’s Radar for Months
    Officials said Ricky Shiffer, 42, was killed hours after trying to breach an F.B.I. office. Federal investigators had been looking into his possible involvement in the attack on the U.S. Capitol, two officials said.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A man whom the police say they killed hours after he tried to breach the F.B.I.’s Cincinnati office had been on the radar of the federal authorities for months, two law enforcement officials said on Friday.

The officials said federal investigators had been looking into whether the man, Ricky Shiffer, 42, of Columbus, had been involved in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol. They also said the F.B.I. had received a tip about Mr. Shiffer in May that was unrelated to Jan. 6, and agents opened a separate inquiry that included conducting interviews in Florida and Ohio.

A neighbor at an apartment complex in Columbus where Mr. Shiffer lived, who declined to give his name, said federal agents had visited the property a few weeks ago and had asked him questions about Mr. Shiffer, including what time he left home most days and when he returned.

Law enforcement officials separately said they were investigating whether Mr. Shiffer appeared in a video posted on Facebook on Jan. 5, 2021, showing him attending a pro-Trump rally at Black Lives Matter Plaza in Washington the night before the Capitol was stormed.
    The authorities said Mr. Shiffer, who was wearing body armor, tried to breach the entrance to the visitor screening facility of the bureau’s Cincinnati office on Thursday morning, but fled after an alarm was set off and agents responded. He was later spotted by a state trooper on a nearby interstate and chased into a rural area, where officers fatally shot him that afternoon after a lengthy standoff.

State and federal officials said little publicly on Friday about the circumstances of the attack at the F.B.I. office or Mr. Shiffer’s motivations, even as online posts suggested he was a supporter of former President Donald J. Trump who had reacted with outrage when federal agents searched Mr. Trump’s Florida home earlier this week.

A day after that search, someone with an account bearing Mr. Shiffer’s name posted messages on Mr. Trump’s social media platform, Truth Social, recommending that “patriots” go to Florida and kill federal agents. On Thursday, the same account also appeared to confess to an attack on the F.B.I.

In a series of recent posts, the account had railed against law enforcement and issued a “call to arms,” saying that for two years, “They have been conditioning us to accept tyranny.” When someone asked whether he was proposing terrorism, the account responded: “I am proposing war.”
    The New York Times could not immediately confirm whether the Truth Social account, or other social media accounts, belonged to Mr. Shiffer.
    The attack in Ohio came during a week when many Republicans had criticized the F.B.I. for the search of Mr. Trump’s home, with some calling it a dangerous weaponization of the Justice Department. Some figures on the right also issued broader calls for violence and civil war.

On Thursday evening, Christopher A. Wray, the F.B.I. director, defended the bureau and decried attacks on law enforcement.

Mr. Shiffer had served in the Florida Army National Guard as a younger man, military records showed, and had worked as an electrician in Ohio more recently, according to his former company. Online records suggested that Mr. Shiffer had ties to several other states, including Nebraska, but it was not clear when or how long he had lived there. In 2016, he made a $250 contribution to Mr. Trump, according to federal elections records.

Federal investigators said they were scrutinizing Mr. Shiffer’s social media accounts. On Tuesday, a Truth Social account in the name of @rickywshifferjr posted a message encouraging people to go to Florida, where, as he wrote, “Mar A Lago is.”

“I recommend going, and being Florida, I think the feds won’t break it up,” the message read. “IF they do, kill them.”
    Though the Ohio State Highway Patrol provided a detailed account of the police chase and standoff on Thursday, in which Mr. Shiffer and officers traded gunfire, the authorities provided limited details about the assault on the F.B.I. building that set off those events, and the possible motivations for it.

No one other than Mr. Shiffer was injured or killed on Thursday.

Site Supporter
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ar-months.html

Gunman killed after attacking Ohio FBI office served in NUCLEAR SUBMARINE with top-level security clearance: Bureau was alerted to him earlier this year

New details emerge about man who attacked FBI office in Cincinnati Thursday
    Ricky Shiffer, 42, appeared to want revenge for FBI raid on Trump's Mar-a-Lago
    Records show he previously served in the Navy and Florida National Guard
    Shiffer had security clearance to serve on a nuclear submarine
    It's unclear whether he retained his clearance after leaving military service
    FBI had been investigating Shiffer for months in connection with January 6
    A separate probe began after a tip on an undisclosed matter in May
    FBI tried to visit Shiffer but had been unable to find him for an interview

The man who was killed in a police shootout after attacking an FBI field office in Ohio was a Navy veteran who once had top-secret clearance, and had been under FBI investigation for months, according to new reports.

Ricky Walter Shiffer Jr, 42, died on Thursday after trying to breach the field office in Cincinnati with a nail gun and brandishing an AR-15-style rifle when police pursued and cornered him.

Shiffer's posts on Donald Trump's Truth Social platform suggest that he undertook the doomed attack in revenge for the FBI's raid and search of Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence earlier this week.

Shiffer had been an enlisted sailor who served aboard the USS Columbia attack submarine - a job that requires top-secret clearance - and also served as an infantryman in the Florida National Guard, the Wall Street Journal reported.

As well, the FBI confirmed that it had been investigating Shiffer for months in connection with the US Capitol riot and another matter, but the Bureau said that it was not aware of a 'specific and credible threat'.

The FBI is believed to have been investigating a video that Shiffer appeared in on January 5, 2020 at a demonstration in Washington DC, and attempting to confirm whether he stormed the Capitol the following day.

As well, the FBI said in a statement that it also received a tip about Shiffer in May that was unconnected to the Capitol riot, and agents opened a separate inquiry.

Without specifying the nature of the second investigation, the FBI said that it had tried to interview Shiffer repeatedly but had failed to locate him.

Neighbors who live near Shiffer's apartment in Columbus told the New York Times said federal agents had visited several weeks ago and asked about Shiffer, including when he usually left home for the day and returned.

Further details are also emerging about Shiffer's prior military service.

Soon after graduating high school in Pennsylvania, Shiffer enlisted in the Navy in 1998, and went to the Navy's submarine school in Connecticut.

He served for four years aboard the USS Columbia, a nuclear-powered attack sub, as a fire-control technician, monitoring and maintaining weapons systems.

All sailor serving that role, which deals with classified weapons systems aboard the Navy's most secretive vessels, must pass background checks for top secret clearance.

All sailor serving that role, which deals with classified weapons systems aboard the Navy's most secretive vessels, must pass background checks for top secret clearance.
    Name:  836A5B34-1B8B-421F-BA93-65CD853D81A6.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  82.1 KB

Service members often retain eligibility for security clearance even years after leaving the military, even though they no longer have access to military secrets.

Shiffer left the Navy in 2003 as a fire control technician, second class, with a pay grade of E-5.

Schiffer also served in the Florida National Guard from 2008 to 2011, rising to a pay grade of E-4. He spent a year deployed in Iraq starting in January 2010, leaving the service shortly after his return.

Federal investigators are examining social media accounts they believe are tied to Shiffer, according to a law enforcement official.

At least one of the messages on Trump´s Truth Social media platform appeared to have been posted after Shiffer tried to breach the FBI office. It read: 'If you don´t hear from me, it is true I tried attacking the F.B.I.'

Another message posted on the same site this week from @rickywshifferjr included a 'call to arms' and urged people to 'be ready for combat' after the FBI search at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida.

FBI Director Christopher Wray denounced the threats as he visited an FBI office in Omaha, Nebraska, on Wednesday, saying, 'Violence against law enforcement is not the answer, no matter who you´re upset with.'

The FBI on Wednesday also warned its agents to avoid protesters and ensure their security key cards are 'not visible outside FBI space,' citing an increase in social media threats against bureau personnel and offices.

A now-suspended Twitter account, @rickyshiffer, shared the same profile picture as the Truth Social account and similar opinions, including a call for armed conflict in the U.S. this past spring.

It included posts saying that 'elections are rigged' against conservatives and that the country faces 'tyranny.'

'I don´t think it´s a one-off incident,' said Amy Cooter, a researcher at Middlebury College who is an expert on militias. 'I´m afraid there´s going to be a pocket full of people who feel compelled to act.'

Courthouses, government offices and election headquarters all could be targets, she said. 'Anywhere is fair game now because these folks feel this a personal issue for them,' Cooter said.
    Name:  EFC0A8D3-FDA5-477A-852C-F27180EA7AAA.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  57.5 KB

I’m assuming this explains the nail gun. There are multiple YouTube videos showing nail guns going through body armor and ballistic glass.

Site Supporter
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...itol-Riot.html

”If you don't hear from me, I tried attacking the FBI': Armed man shot dead after targeting FBI Ohio office warned of attack just HOURS before on Trump's Truth Social, told supporters to kill feds after Mar-a-Lago search and attended Capitol riot.”

He escalated his threats by Thursday, writing that morning, 'If you don't hear from me, it is true I tried attacking the F.B.I., and it'll mean either I was taken off the internet, the F.B.I. got me, or they sent the regular cops while.' Ohio police confirmed he was killed later in the day.

Shiffer, sporting body armor and an assault-rifle, attempted to break into the agency's Cincinnati field office, prompting a five-hour standoff with authorities. He fled the office and was chased onto the highway before abandoning his car by a cornfield on a country road just off of Interstate 71.
    Name:  1B401197-0CAA-43C8-8CDD-1BB235836570.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  63.0 KB

User Tag List