Thread: Firefighters step inside. RFI

Firefighters step inside. RFI

I am the head of the PPE R&D team for my department, and we are researching alternate PPE and PPE literacy. I am trying to get our people out of bunker gear when it's not needed to be worn.

That is the short of it and we can keep the data and information here but if you wish to know the reasons why I will PM you.

Thank you, CD

I’ve got 30+ years as a wildland firefighter (started in the Reagan Admin). I would hate to wear structure gear if I didn’t have to.

The most popular line of wildland pants is the “Crewboss”. Nomex (obviously), kevlar rip-stop, cargo pockets, roomy so you can move in them. I think they even make them in blue. A far cry from what was available in the 80’s and 90’s.

Not sure this is what you're looking for but, this is what we do at a 5 station department with roughly 95 on line personnel:
    Each member has 2 sets of turnouts. When exposed to fire (structure or car) we change into PT gear that we keep in a small bag that goes on the engine with us. After being cleared from the fire (first in, first out) we are OOS until all crew members are showered and the soiled turnouts go in the extractor, the alternate set of turnouts goes on the apparatus. The turnouts have a 10 year service life unless exposed to too much heat or have excessive repairs. Our PPE rep inspects each set every 6 months.

User Tag List