Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Why is the 1911 more popular than ever?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    We'll see what direction she goes
    Attachment 93119

I like it! Mine have so far liked the single action 22's and my G48, and my oldest likes the M9. As long as they enjoy shooting i don't care really! Lol

Also to the post below I agree it is cool seeing a 1911 in a US service members holster abroad, merica!

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Do you really think so?

I highly doubt it. The .357 SIG was dead in the market for a good 10 years prior to covid, and even when in its prime was only marginally successful. Virtually every manufacturer dropped 357 SIG from their product lineup; SIG doesn't even make 357 SIG guns anymore except for overruns from small contracts for a smattering of agencies; among which, most institutional users of 357 SIG have dropped it (FAMS, USSS, Texas DPS, Tenn. Highway Patrol, etc).

The cartridge was virtually dead in the commercial marketplace for years prior to covid. Even by 2010, finding 357 SIG in readily available numbers/variety on shelves was pretty rare and that even includes Virginia which is one of the last holdouts of 357 SIG. I hardly imagine covid is the reason it flopped.
    SIG doesn't make 40s anymore either, from what I've seen. I think the demand for 9mm P320s, M17s, & M18s, are the primary culprits. I bought a decent supply of 357 ammo just prior to COVID, so I'm set for a long time.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    My interest in .38 super has to do with the longer overall case length playing better with the 1911’s mechanical feed cycle, plus you loose one round of magazine capacity in .357sig due to the greater case head size.

In addition, while we have at least one member who has had decent results with a Sig 1911 that’s not a pistol I’m interested in buying from them.
    I do see your point about the case length of the 38 Super. The old rule of thumb was something about not chambering a 1911 for a cartridge shorter than a round of 45 ACP ball. That could exclude the 357, but it would also take 9mm out of the game as well. At least in this platform.

I'm rereading my Chuck Taylor stuff right now, so I'm pretty much waxing nostalgic about 45 ACP right now anyway.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

User Tag List