Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the 1911 more popular than ever?

Haha I gotcha now. At one point I’d have not bat an eye at spending on 1911s. For some reason I’m not realizing I’m fine with $3k guitars despite not playing out much when a $1000 Mexican made one would do the trick but is unacceptable to my ego. Yes the American $3000 is nicer and sounds and plates nicer but at 3x the cost? But I’d certainly spend the $3k there.

If I take receipt of it without selling immediately I’ll be posting pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    What was that like? Those guns have always fascinated me.
    I bought mine brand new when I was a Detective (so between 2000-2003) I think they had just come out. I had never spent this much on a pistol before and looking at current retail of $2600, I recall paying less than paying $1500.

It was the tightest fitting 1911 I ever held, and it was on the standard version (not the 1.5") Monolith Heavyweight. It felt good in my hands and was very accurate.

No one made a holster for it. I drove to Houston and met the young owner of a new kydex holster company at a warehouse business (Comp-Tac). He let me in, and he tried to modify a Govt Model Holster and he did not like it. So, using my Monolith as his base, he made me one. He told me not to tell anyone his process, but I think enough time has passed that I don't think he won't mind now. His kydex presses were made out of thick plywood and foam to take the firearm shape. I recall clamps and a heat gun. I left Houston with probably the first ever Monolith holster and felt like Tall Cotton. HA!

It was around 2005 that I started getting into PPC and Les Baer Monolith did not fit the approved list of approved firearms in relation to the manufacture had to have built a min of 1000 firearms and it be massed produced for the police or military. I had a friend check with PPC Officials, and it was not approved back then. So, I made the mistake of selling it to buy a pistol that fit the criteria.

I ordered an ACW 5" Prime HARD FIT with the accuracy upgrade and Bomar type rear sight. I hope to see it around Christmas time 2022.

I recall this photo (circa early 2000s), I was the shooter and I had two detective buddies with cameras trying to snap a photo of recoil with brass in the air. My early 2000s model LB Monolith HVY was tha SH__! The Monolith was one of my regrets of letting certain guns go. I am hoping my Prime will cover that aspect. I need to start working out my hands.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 08-13-2022 at 11:11 AM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Haha I gotcha now. At one point I’d have not bat an eye at spending on 1911s. For some reason I’m not realizing I’m fine with $3k guitars despite not playing out much when a $1000 Mexican made one would do the trick but is unacceptable to my ego. Yes the American $3000 is nicer and sounds and plates nicer but at 3x the cost? But I’d certainly spend the $3k there.

My D35 gets played almost daily, and until I’m dead or too decrepit to play it anymore, goes nowhere. I did buy it to play shows with, but that band is done and gone and I haven’t played a solo gig in years, either, since COVID.

Still keeping that guitar.

I’ve never owned a 1911, but have enjoyed shooting a few.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Some of us never got off the 45acp 1911 bandwagon. My buddy in a free state just traded his stacatto for a Wilson in 45, this morning.
    That's interesting. Did he happen to say why?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    My D35 gets played almost daily, and until I’m dead or too decrepit to play it anymore, goes nowhere. I did buy it to play shows with, but that band is done and gone and I haven’t played a solo gig in years, either, since COVID.

Still keeping that guitar.

I’ve never owned a 1911, but have enjoyed shooting a few.
    I just got an Iris OG with a pick up. Absolutely love it. Ran me $2650. Selling a few guitars to buy either their Dreadnought 12 fret or their ooo 12 fret. They model their guitars after classic Gibson’s.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post

I get what you are saying. It's a lot.

I too am asking myself the same question but in a different manner.

I ordered my second ACW Prime and the add ons took it way over what I had intended in my mind. I parked my ACW Classic Carry for the time being just to preserve it, in case I need to sell it.

I am having a hard time justifying two very expensive 1911s, but I will hold onto the Classic Carry till the very last minute and see how this plays out.

I am hoping Christmas 2022, I will see mine, but reality might be early 2023.

after the oil bath to be put up.

then I bought this dude to rough house at $1600. 2017 Blued Dan Wesson Valor .45 that is very well put together. It has a trigger click that I have diagnosed to the disconnector. I plan to change it out with a EGW Ball Disconnector but it shoots fine with a pre firing click. The click is not there on subsequent shots.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    It is joining a family of 1911's.....honestly I might actually need some help...
    Attachment 92826
    Name:  problem or rookie numbers.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  46.2 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Really wish the “Series 80” style FP safety was more common. I’ve not dropped a lot of guns in my life, but it’s more than zero. If SA of Ruger had a quality FP safety, I’m not sure I could resist.

Several years ago I took a class with a Ruger SR 1911. That was so much fun. Not only did I get a barging price wise with an up start instructor 1 on 1 (he carried 1911s in Iraq and Afghanistan with SF), the joy of running a 1911 is a real thing. There is something about operating a manual safety, or a decocker, that oddly helps me focus more.

Regarding guitars, I’ll stick with the baby Taylor that was bought for me 20 years ago. I’m an average player and not good enough to do better on higher priced instruments.

User Tag List