Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the 1911 more popular than ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    People who shot Glocks, M&P, HK, Sig, Beretta, Walther, CZ, the US Military, most US police forces, and most pistol competitors appear to disagree.

I have a 1911. Fun pistol. But when I was growing up if you wanted a 1911 you had to dump a whole lot of money into it to make it just reliable. Even now they are much more expensive than comparable frames.

If you like them - great! I grew up with them and like a good 1911 too. Sorry, but this article is advertising nonsense.
    The softest .45Auto I’ve ever shot was a G21.4. That said, my Springfield ROO really isn’t that far behind and fits 1,000,000 times better than that plastic 2x4. I don’t care that I can get two G21s for the price I paid for my Springfield, it’s not an L shaped 2x4 and I’d be willing to bet it carries a hell of a lot better than a G21.

I may need to go get a proper shoulder holster for a 5” 1911 now.

Are you guys trying to get me to keep my incoming Alchemy?! Haha. If I keep reading this damn thread I might have to.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Are you guys trying to get me to keep my incoming Alchemy?! Haha. If I keep reading this damn thread I might have to.
    Absolutely! I mean, do you REALLY not want it?

I’m just looking at the $2830 I’m paying toward it and thinking it could go towards card debt or bills. Wondering why I need a 40oz blued .45 handgun that costs that much money. Maybe it’s buyers remorse idk. Ordered it in January. Should be here by January ish.

I don’t get a lot of shooting time. 3rd kid on the way and I’m 47 and have debts I could pay down a little. Idk. What’s it’s purpose? I have a g19 and 2 M&P. VP9. Few others. I’m not a great shooter as I don’t shoot much anymore (never was a great shooter lol) and doubt I’d see a huge difference in performance from me after spending that much and shooting .45.

I could just have guilt.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I’m just looking at the $2830 I’m paying toward it and thinking it could go towards card debt or bills. Wondering why I need a 40oz blued .45 handgun that costs that much money.
    I dunno... a $3000 1911 seems like a bargain compared to a $12,000+ shotgun, but keep in mind that I consider all shotguns to be glorified lengths of steel pipe with a stock and firing mechanism attached.

Most of us buy a "million dollar (insert specific item here)" at some time in our lives, and with the passage of time, I think they are a bit like planting trees: "the best time to do it was before now; the next best time is today." At 47, there is still a long time to enjoy that gun.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Why?

Because: John Moses Browning got it right!

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I don't think single stack 1911's in 9mm make sense to anyone anymore. With Wilson's EDC based double stack guns seeming to work pretty well and the Stack-A-Toe obsession, if you want a 9mm with 1911 style controls there are just better options out there without compromising capacity.
    I agree. While I enjoyed my Wilson Combat 9mm 1911, my Staccato P has proven far more reliable. For all the concern about Staccato magazines, I'd take their double stack over the Wilson 9mm ETMs. I imagine the Wilson PPQ derived magazine in the EDC X9 series is far less finicky than Wilson's single stack alternatives.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’m starting to think I should get a 1911 just to have in the collection.
    Name:  do it.jpeg
Views: 288
Size:  18.5 KB

Perhaps @RJ can tell you about the Gospel of the Garrison...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I dunno... a $3000 1911 seems like a bargain compared to a $12,000+ shotgun, but keep in mind that I consider all shotguns to be glorified lengths of steel pipe with a stock and firing mechanism attached.

Most of us buy a "million dollar (insert specific item here)" at some time in our lives, and with the passage of time, I think they are a bit like planting trees: "the best time to do it was before now; the next best time is today." At 47, there is still a long time to enjoy that gun.
    I don’t follow on the shotgun reference.

I do follow that I have plenty life left to enjoy whatever I own. I guess I’m saying, what is it I’m gaining over $700 polymer pistols in 9mm without the weight, cost, rust, recoil ? 1911 is certainly graced with a nice trigger and frankly beautiful.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I don’t follow on the shotgun reference.
    I just wanted to confess that while I myself might drop 3 large on a dream handgun, I tend to think that someone spending proportionally to get a dream shotgun is a certifiable loon... which I know is unfair of me. We all have our preferences, and who the loon is depends on one's background.

White noise.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List