Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the 1911 more popular than ever?

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I agree. While I enjoyed my Wilson Combat 9mm 1911, my Staccato P has proven far more reliable. For all the concern about Staccato magazines, I'd take their double stack over the Wilson 9mm ETMs. I imagine the Wilson PPQ derived magazine in the EDC X9 series is far less finicky than Wilson's single stack alternatives.
    As someone who owns and has frequently used a half dozen of each, I can assure you what you imagined to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    As someone who owns and has frequently used a half dozen of each, I can assure you what you imagined to be true.
    This American Handgunner article ( https://americanhandgunner.com/gear/...e-1911-45-acp/ ) explains nose dive with single column mags. This example is with .45 Auto 8 rounds vs 7 rounds, where the more rounds you stack in a single column mag, the more nosedive you get.

The 9mm would complicate this issue even more since there are even more rounds stacked in a single column, and the 9mm round has more taper than the .45 Auto cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    This American Handgunner article ( https://americanhandgunner.com/gear/...e-1911-45-acp/ ) explains nose dive with single column mags. This example is with .45 Auto 8 rounds vs 7 rounds, where the more rounds you stack in a single column mag, the more nosedive you get.

The 9mm would complicate this issue even more since there are even more rounds stacked in a single column, and the 9mm round has more taper than the .45 Auto cartridge.
    I've found the taper and location in the magazine to be a key issue with nose dive in the single stack 9mm 1911 magazine. The magazines I've had better luck with are the ones with the spacers in the front, with my CMC magazines being the better of the 5 or so different kinds of premium 10 round 1911 magazines I have. It seems the round nose dives at first, whilst initial friction with the round above it. The round further back in the magazine has a tiny bit more time to correct itself before hitting the feed ramp.

For me 1911s are like revolvers. I get why people prefer more modern designs. I like them because I just do. I'm 38 btw. My first one was a Springfield milspec I paid for and my mom the the paperwork when I was 16. I shot ipsc in Iowa with it in highschool and carried it when I got out of the Marines. Since then I've carried 1911s more than any other gun.

But I also like canning my own apple sauce, loading my own ammo, stalking deer instead of sitting in a stand, etc.

1911s just go with my and how I like to live, present myself to others, and take care of myself and my equipment. I'm no snob. My 1911s are relatively inexpensive Springfields.
    Name:  IMG_20220613_111513.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  37.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220801_105418.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  82.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_20210902_112019.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  100.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I’m waiting for the resurgence of .38 super and I would like a loading with a 148gr. bullet doing 1150ish fps please.

That would be sweet in a double stack or single stack.

ETA: loaded in .38 supercomp cases so they’re truly rimless
    Nah. SIG needs to re-release their 1911s in 357 SIG. They were stillborn because of COVID.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post

in relation to the .45 acp

does the same apply with 200 or 180/185 grain slugs?

I used to have an odd malfunction with my MCOP where a 230 grain ball would flip upwards (additional rounds in the mag) and lock my slide. The slug portion was wedged against the upper inside chamber and the casing was up against the feed ramp. It happened about 3 times during separate matches and since I was up against the clock, I could not ID this properly. I would pull on the slide or attempt to release the mag and it was locked up, but after frantic grips and pulls onto the slide or magazine release, I would get movement and it came loose. I would clear and get back in it. I ran it by Hilton Yam as my components were heavy 10-8. He had just put out Gen 2 of his slide stop and suggested I try that. To this date, I have never had that type of malfunction using the Gen 2 slide stop. Hilton wondered if it was a tolerance issue.

I do get intermittent first round fail to feed (nose dive) with 10 round mags and 230 ball. I dont use 10s for duty.

I use CMC Power Mags, WC ETMs and ACW Blued Act 8 round mags with no issues for the past 7 years.

My 230 rounds are Speer, Federal and Remington ball. My duty rounds are Gold Dot 230.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Yeah well, not by Hack standards. In our class I was officially a communist fag as I didn't own one at the time. LOL

I'd recommend you do. But don't go cheap/basic service level IMO. 1911 life begins at the TRP level. I learned that across mucho dineros.
    I have wanted a Dan Wesson Valor for a while now but I can't justify spending $2K on a gun that would be a toy but with no sentimental value or personal history for me. I'll probably end up with a Springfield Loaded or a Garrison or something. Those Valors sure are nice looking though.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Got 2nd in the above match. The top shooter is a USPSA Master and was shooting a cz97 but I did beat him in one stage at least. First time ever.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I have wanted a Dan Wesson Valor for a while now but I can't justify spending $2K on a gun that would be a toy but with no sentimental value or personal history for me. I'll probably end up with a Springfield Loaded or a Garrison or something. Those Valors sure are nice looking though.
    not sure if this fits your wants or budget

but I bought a 2017 Blue Valor for $1600 off a 1911 forum. I added the Chen Magwell and 10-8 Signature grips and Dawson Fiber Optic front.

it was low round count and carbon steel blue comes with a higher price tag. I am sure an older stainless model would be cheaper.

the fit is nice and other than an annoying trigger click which I hope a EGW Ball disconnector will get rid of, it will be perfect for me.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I guess I have been lucky and ended up with no real issues on the 1911 style guns that have passed through my hands.

My very first 3
    Colt Govt Series 70 it ran. no issues. It was modified by Sams Custom and still have it today.
    Colt Gold Cup Series 80 (used, slide to frame fit was sloppy) but shot very good and reliable. Sold it to buy something else.
    Colt Officers ACP (very first shot, recoil spring tab broke off and recoil springs and broken plug took off flying to never be found again. The gun was sent to King Gun Works in Cali for recoil spring assembly and ran after that.... still have it today.

Colt Commanders, Les Baer Monolith HWY, Springers this and that, ACW, DW..... all these guys ran good!

1911 style been BERRY BERRY GOOD TO ME!
    +1 I've likewise had good luck for service grades to also run reliably over a lot of rounds. But it was my first TRP, first venture into the next higher grade, that I first tasted a checkered front strap, mag well and a level of precision quite a bit past my earlier pistols.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List