Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Why is the 1911 more popular than ever?

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Nah. SIG needs to re-release their 1911s in 357 SIG. They were stillborn because of COVID.
    Do you really think so?

I highly doubt it. The .357 SIG was dead in the market for a good 10 years prior to covid, and even when in its prime was only marginally successful. Virtually every manufacturer dropped 357 SIG from their product lineup; SIG doesn't even make 357 SIG guns anymore except for overruns from small contracts for a smattering of agencies; among which, most institutional users of 357 SIG have dropped it (FAMS, USSS, Texas DPS, Tenn. Highway Patrol, etc).

The cartridge was virtually dead in the commercial marketplace for years prior to covid. Even by 2010, finding 357 SIG in readily available numbers/variety on shelves was pretty rare and that even includes Virginia which is one of the last holdouts of 357 SIG. I hardly imagine covid is the reason it flopped.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I think it's more popular than ever due to the internet mostly, sure a LGS snags people off and on with the clean lines and memory of tv/movies.

I gave this some thought the other day and my kids have mostly seen me carry a glock, my M&P 45, or a beretta m9. When I was a kid my uncles all had 1911's that they carried in WW2 and vietnam, so I had one for a long time. Times change though, to each their own and enjoy what you like!

Vending Machine Operator
    Reading this thread made me bust out my new Smith E-Series last night and gosh, it really is very nice. Definitely the nicest pistol I own in terms of finish and detail.

That's maybe a big reason the 1911 has an undying fandom. We all use our businesslike polymer guns because of cold facts - the best durability, the best function dirty, the best function with low lubrication, etc. but the 1911 is a reminder that guncrafting used to be an art.

I think it's sorta the same instinct as to why we all would really prefer proper, all-wood furniture. The kind that is basically indestructible. But good proper furniture costs an arm and a leg now so we all settle for so-so particleboard because it's more practical. Deep down we want that oak end table.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    When I moved from Northern VA down to Eastern NC a few years ago the movers moved all four safes and all my ammo and accessories in my household goods, I was the last pickup and the first drop off and the small privately owned moving company that the USMC had contracted for my PCS move was all about getting that loaded weight ticket weight up... It still took me 3 trips in the Jeep Cherokee to move all the guns, piled floor to ceiling with the seats down, I didn't have cases for everything so stuff was just wrapped in layers of blankets like a rifle lasagna.... Made three runs south on interstate 95 and 40 like that. Sketchy as hell... after that I developed a even higher affinity for pistols.... much easier to move...
    Took me two trips to move guns & ammo. Movers wouldn't take either. Still, quite a bit of the ammo accidentally fell into boxes being packed with books.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fordtough25 View Post
    I think it's more popular than ever due to the internet mostly, sure a LGS snags people off and on with the clean lines and memory of tv/movies.

I gave this some thought the other day and my kids have mostly seen me carry a glock, my M&P 45, or a beretta m9. When I was a kid my uncles all had 1911's that they carried in WW2 and vietnam, so I had one for a long time. Times change though, to each their own and enjoy what you like!
    We'll see what direction she goes
    Name:  IMG_20220816_111754.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  37.4 KB

M45A1

I'm a proud Paratrooper who unfortunately was stuck using a soulless M17 instead of my preferred M9 (RIP) on my most recent unplanned overseas trip a year ago, but there was something cool about seeing some M45A1s in Marine holsters at HKIA in the final few days of the Afghan war.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Reading this thread made me bust out my new Smith E-Series last night and gosh, it really is very nice. Definitely the nicest pistol I own in terms of finish and detail.

That's maybe a big reason the 1911 has an undying fandom. We all use our businesslike polymer guns because of cold facts - the best durability, the best function dirty, the best function with low lubrication, etc. but the 1911 is a reminder that guncrafting used to be an art.

I think it's sorta the same instinct as to why we all would really prefer proper, all-wood furniture. The kind that is basically indestructible. But good proper furniture costs an arm and a leg now so we all settle for so-so particleboard because it's more practical. Deep down we want that oak end table.
    My son is in possession of my S&W E Series at the moment, but after swapping out the sear, disconnector, and fitting a new trigger, it is a fantastic 1911! It was really good from the factory, but the Wilson Combat parts just took it over the top.
    Pre Wilson Combat parts:

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    My son is in possession of my S&W E Series at the moment, but after swapping out the sear, disconnector, and fitting a new trigger, it is a fantastic 1911! It was really good from the factory, but the Wilson Combat parts just took it over the top.
    Pre Wilson Combat parts:
    I am generally opposed to aftermarket modifications on guns but Wilson is a huge exception to that. My Colt only shot a few test magazines with the magazines it came with, it and the E-series immediately got ETMs. Plus, I forgot until I started typing this, I have a few Wilson parts in my Beretta 92FS (like the steel fluted guide rod that gives you the steel strength + the cuts that give you the debris channels) and they're just top notch. So I'd certainly be open to putting some Wilson parts in that baby!
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I am generally opposed to aftermarket modifications on guns but Wilson is a huge exception to that. My Colt only shot a few test magazines with the magazines it came with, it and the E-series immediately got ETMs. Plus, I forgot until I started typing this, I have a few Wilson parts in my Beretta 92FS (like the steel fluted guide rod that gives you the steel strength + the cuts that give you the debris channels) and they're just top notch. So I'd certainly be open to putting some Wilson parts in that baby!
    I’m thinking back to the E Series mods, and I also reduced the hammer spring a pound or two for easier slide manipulation. The LGS owner and I did the sear and disconnector swap on the sales counter. Nothing was done to the disconnector and sear, but the hammer hooks were cleaned up significantly with a stone. It’s really an amazing trigger now. I tried to replicate that with my Ruger SR1911’s trigger, but it’s not even close. The Ruger’s MIM sear sides looked like they didn’t use enough metal powder.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Do you really think so?

I highly doubt it. The .357 SIG was dead in the market for a good 10 years prior to covid, and even when in its prime was only marginally successful. Virtually every manufacturer dropped 357 SIG from their product lineup; SIG doesn't even make 357 SIG guns anymore except for overruns from small contracts for a smattering of agencies; among which, most institutional users of 357 SIG have dropped it (FAMS, USSS, Texas DPS, Tenn. Highway Patrol, etc).

The cartridge was virtually dead in the commercial marketplace for years prior to covid. Even by 2010, finding 357 SIG in readily available numbers/variety on shelves was pretty rare and that even includes Virginia which is one of the last holdouts of 357 SIG. I hardly imagine covid is the reason it flopped.
    I think the .357 SIG is cool and all but, one can get about the same ballistics out of a .38 Super or one of it's close variations and an extra round in the mag....

User Tag List