Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the 1911 more popular than ever?

Why is the 1911 more popular than ever?

Bill says the pendulum is swinging back to Wilson Combat building more .45 1911s than 9mm 1911s:

Part of the reason to choose .45 in a 1911-pattern pistol would be a concern about magazine capacity limits. If one is concerned about a magazine capacity and wants a SAO design, a 1911 makes sense. If one chooses a 1911, it is easier to make one reliable in the round for which the pistol was designed.

Because it is so easy to shoot well. A new generation figuring that out? The manufacturers are marketing it well and producing more attractive models with "enough" of what was customization stuff done to them, decent sights, beavertails, etc.

WC calls their double stack X9 a 1911…

I’m not sure if he’s talking regular single stack 1911s in 45 and 9 versus adding up all the double stack “1911” in 9mm…

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

While I admire WC designs, parts, and guns, a 1911 manufacturer putting out a video title "Why the 1911 is still popular" seems a bit self-serving.

I like 1911s, I'll always have 1911s, and I'm certainly happy to see WC business prosper- but the double-stack 9mm is today's reality of defensive pistolcraft.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Part of the reason to choose .45 in a 1911-pattern pistol would be a concern about magazine capacity limits. If one is concerned about a magazine capacity and wants a SAO design, a 1911 makes sense. If one chooses a 1911, it is easier to make one reliable in the round for which the pistol was designed.
    I’m waiting for the resurgence of .38 super and I would like a loading with a 148gr. bullet doing 1150ish fps please.

That would be sweet in a double stack or single stack.

ETA: loaded in .38 supercomp cases so they’re truly rimless

It is? ? ? Lets see some sales numbers. I have nothing against a nice 1911, but I literally only see old guys like myself shooting them at the range or competitions.

*hitches up pants*

Well, it could be buncha' us old-timers learnt on Glocks and recently discovered the pleasure of shooting slow, fat bullets out of a steel pistol with a carrot-snapping crisp trigger...

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I’m waiting for the resurgence of .38 super and I would like a loading with a 148gr. bullet doing 1150ish fps please.

That would be sweet in a double stack or single stack.

ETA: loaded in .38 supercomp cases so they’re truly rimless
    YES, YES, YES!!!!!!

And make it with a duty grade bullet design.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I don't think single stack 1911's in 9mm make sense to anyone anymore. With Wilson's EDC based double stack guns seeming to work pretty well and the Stack-A-Toe obsession, if you want a 9mm with 1911 style controls there are just better options out there without compromising capacity.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List