Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the 1911 more popular than ever?

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    With few exceptions, you can basically enjoy 1911's and not even think about gun laws in the U.S.
    The continuing popularity of a design that is over 110 years old ensures that plenty of parts and accessories will remain easily available for a long time to come.

That alone may be enough reason to keep a Government Model 45 ACP around, especially.

Try finding a Heckler & Koch P9S magazine at your local hardware or sporting goods store.
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 08-11-2022 at 09:27 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Try finding a Heckler & Koch P9S magazine at your local hardware or sporting goods store.
    While for a 1911, you can find a steel magazine for the price ofva Five Guys cheeseburger…
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I bought this Colt Combat Unit from the shop yesterday because I told myself that I would let it sit in the case for a month before I adopted it
    Name:  20220811_221117.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  95.1 KB

It is joining a family of 1911's.....honestly I might actually need some help...
    Name:  20220811_222044.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  30.3 KB

Its going to the range tomorrow with these tho...
    Name:  20220811_221159.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  46.0 KB
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

We were not allowed 1911 carry till 2008. I started with a 686, wood Target grips and 12 loops and 6 in the gun. I would stick speed strips in my pockets but no one was allowed speedloaders as they wanted uniformity.

They went G21 in 1992 and I got mine in 93. I started carrying SW4500 in 98ish and those guns served me well. In 2008, Admin changed and an officer that was my partner in Narcs and Juvenile was now the DC and asked me if I wanted to pack 1911 on duty. BAM!

I bought me a used Springer MCOP and except for when I was in IA for 5 years driving a desk (2012-2017), it's been my duty carry.

It went to SACS in 2009 for some mods (duty acceptable) and in 2011 where the lower was AK in MC green.

I just prefer the handling aspects, the history and since its Texas..... it fits. I have been to Colt and 10-8 Armorer and still learning the quirks of the system. I can basically carry anything (duty style) and I choose the 1911 style. I am the only one packing .45 and the rest in 9mm Glock with a few Staccatos. The young guys make fun of me and say I pack a dinosaur. That don't bother me as this dinosaur will spank them at the range. I am in the 16K range and still going strong.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post

It is joining a family of 1911's.....honestly I might actually need some help...
    I’m currently trying to plan the logistics of moving 2 1/2 gun safes and about 10,000 rounds of CF ammo half way across the country in the next 3 weeks. In addition to exasperated comments from the wife, even I begin to wonder what kind of sick person I am? (especially as I am already planning the purchase of a handful of guns when I finally get my new “citizenship” I’m looking at YOU AK-103SF and EVO3).

It’s nice to see respectable people who are also afflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I’m currently trying to plan the logistics of moving 2 1/2 gun safes and about 10,000 rounds of CF ammo half way across the country in the next 3 weeks. In addition to exasperated comments from the wife, even I begin to wonder what kind of sick person I am? (especially as I am already planning the purchase of a handful of guns when I finally get my new “citizenship” I’m looking at YOU AK-103SF and EVO3).

It’s nice to see respectable people who are also afflicted.
    When I moved from Northern VA down to Eastern NC a few years ago the movers moved all four safes and all my ammo and accessories in my household goods, I was the last pickup and the first drop off and the small privately owned moving company that the USMC had contracted for my PCS move was all about getting that loaded weight ticket weight up... It still took me 3 trips in the Jeep Cherokee to move all the guns, piled floor to ceiling with the seats down, I didn't have cases for everything so stuff was just wrapped in layers of blankets like a rifle lasagna.... Made three runs south on interstate 95 and 40 like that. Sketchy as hell... after that I developed a even higher affinity for pistols.... much easier to move...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I’m waiting for the resurgence of .38 super and I would like a loading with a 148gr. bullet doing 1150ish fps please.

That would be sweet in a double stack or single stack.

ETA: loaded in .38 supercomp cases so they’re truly rimless
    100% !! The super is awesome. Speaking only for myself, now as an old guy, I appreciate the SAO action and the accuracy potential of the design. I use my super in 2 gun where accurate shots sometimes at longer than IDPA distances [50 yards] is more the norm than unusual.

I bought this Colt Combat Unit from the shop yesterday because I told myself that I would let it sit in the case for a month before I adopted it
    Name:  20220811_221117.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  95.1 KB

Its going to the range tomorrow with these tho...
    Name:  20220811_221159.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  46.0 KB
    You are a True American Patriot! Nice collection.

Yeah, getting that BHP out of the picture. That Combat Unit is a nice acquisition.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by 19852+ View Post
    100% !! The super is awesome. Speaking only for myself, now as an old guy, I appreciate the SAO action and the accuracy potential of the design. I use my super in 2 gun where accurate shots sometimes at longer than IDPA distances [50 yards] is more the norm than unusual.
    I'm currently in the final stages of building a 38 Super Commander slide assembly for a lightweight 9mm Colt Commander receiver; it's currently out at John Harrison's shop for a gold bead to be installed in the front sight, then it'll be off to a local gunsmith for bluing of the slide and barrel/bushing (slide/barrel/bushing are in the white still), and that should be that.

Of course, Colt will re-introduce a factory 38 Super Commander after I finish all this work to create something they haven't put on the market in more than a decade...

User Tag List