Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lithium is dangerous

Lithium is dangerous

Now I have to try this LOL

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation." - Ronald Reagan

Sodium metal reacts in a similar manner, IIRC. You learn all lithium and water in meth clan lab clean up courses. It’s a wonder more of them dipshits don’t kill themselves.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

All of the elemental alkali metals (lithium, sodium, potassium, cesium, rubidium, and francium) and some of the alkali earths ignite when immersed in water. Lots of heat combined with hydrogen from the reaction makes for plenty of fire and noise.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    I knew this was going to be a NileRed vid just from the title.

Chris

I remember high school chemistry. Mr. Goldsmith ('Au'Smith) took a small chunk of pure sodium and dropped it in a clear beaker of water. The reaction was violent. Probably would not be permitted in schools today.

Yeah, I had an after-school detention back in the 6th grade for tossing a pencil to a fellow student. Detention was in the chemistry classroom. Our chemistry coursework was nothing but book work but hidden in a locker was a bunch of chemistry equipment, supplies, Etc.

Towards the end of the detention period the chemistry teacher pulled out a jar which he then explained was full of pure sodium. He pulled off a small piece and dropped it into another Beaker of water and bang!

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Anecdote Alert

A student swiped the jar of sodium from my high school's chemistry supplies and flushed the whole block down the john. It apparently took just long enough for the block to hit the trap before the protective oil was washed off and it wrecked the fixture.

Another jewel of the educational system hooked a rubber tube from the lab sink faucet to the Bunsen burner gas nozzle. It is expensive to have a large gas meter drained and dried.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Our teacher demonstrated the Na in water trick. Some folks would take the bottles with some sodium in water and throw them in a lake and then shoot them with a 22.

I watched some old monster movie where the monsters attacked a high school. They came from the sea and the kids remembered that sodium reacted against water and the monsters were full of water (being from the sea), thus they got what looked like big ice cream container (like the ones in the ice cream cone store) full of sodium. They then stuck their hands in the 'sodium' and threw it at the monsters. The monsters then blew up! That's a plan!

This film clip shows US Army disposing of drums of metallic sodium into Lake Lenore, an alkaline lake in the Grand Coulee area of eastern Washington State, in 1947. The barrels were rolled off a cliff onto the frozen surface of the lake where they were machine-gunned to expose the sodium. The reaction of sodium with water produced an estimated 162,000 cubic feet of hydrogen gas which then caught fire, producing a spectacular series of explosions. Several dozen passing motorist stopped to watch as a gentle mist of corrosive sodium hydroxide came down. The Army paid for repainting the cars. The War Assets Administration and the Washington State Department of Game had evaluated the impact of this disposal on the lake beforehand and concluded little effect on the lake and wildlife, but were concerned about the safety of the workers that would be involved. This clip is from a January 13, 1947 newsreel available at the Internet Archive and the details of this disposal are reported in the 1991 book, Uses of Ecology: Lake Washington and Beyond, by W.T. Edmondson.

User Tag List