Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swampfox Kraken

Swampfox Kraken

I thought I'd start a thread on the recently released Swampfox Kraken. Their promotional video shows some torture testing and it seems that they are saying this is durable enough for a duty optic. I'm pretty thrilled with my Holosun 509T and 508T so I'm not really looking to jump in on this one, but if a company is jumping into the hard use pistol optic market it probably warrants a discussion here. I remember Holosun having growing pains in their beginning before shocking the industry when they started cranking out quality stuff, and I feel like Swampfox may be making that transition right now. Aaron Cowan has tested a few Swampfox dots in the past so I'd expect that he'll drop a video on this one since he wants to verify something is "duty grade" when a company makes that claim.
    https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/kraken
    Right off the bat the thing that stands out is the weight at 2.5 oz without battery. That's compared to the 1.7 oz of the 509t and the 2.1 oz of the Acro P-2. Is it heavy enough to start slowing down the slide enough to cause problems?
    Last edited by stomridertx; 08-10-2022 at 08:32 PM.

Is this image to scale? Wow, it looks BIG.

Name:  Screenshot from 2022-08-11 15-23-19.png
Views: 2153
Size:  63.1 KB

As to the claims/specs on the optic:

"...like the double-walled hull of a submarine..."

I am ah, familiar, with the construction of US Submarines, and I can pretty confidently say this is complete marketing BS.

"... IPX7/1 meter..."

Holosun's EPS claims they are IPX8 certified waterproof (continuous immersion, typically 3m/>30 minutes). IPX7 is temporary immersion (1 m/30 minutes.)

Body is listed as 7075 Al, not T5 or T6. HS EPS is 7075 T6. I'd hope this is T6 as well. Seems like they'd say that if it was so.

Eh I dunno. I believe they are both made by Huanic Corporation, so one suspects the innnard's will be reliable, or at least comparable to Holosun.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Eh I dunno. I believe they are both made by Huanic Corporation, so one suspects the innnard's will be reliable, or at least comparable to Holosun.
    Swampfox is the American Distribution brand of Shanghai Changhong Optoelectric (Source: https://sageratsafaris.com/swampfox-...-and-red-dots/). It's the same factory that makes the Vortex Diamondback tactical line.
    Very similar story to Holosun where the parent Chinese manufacturer wants to sell direct instead of just making for other companies. They were smart in bringing on Mike from Primary Arms, and it seems having close ties to American shooters is fast tracking their improved development.
    The Kraken does look huge compared to the 509t, and is more than a passing similarity to the Acro.

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    I thought I'd start a thread on the recently released Swampfox Kraken. Their promotional video shows some torture testing and it seems that they are saying this is durable enough for a duty optic. I'm pretty thrilled with my Holosun 509T and 508T so I'm not really looking to jump in on this one, but if a company is jumping into the hard use pistol optic market it probably warrants a discussion here. I remember Holosun having growing pains in their beginning before shocking the industry when they started cranking out quality stuff, and I feel like Swampfox may be making that transition right now. Aaron Cowan has tested a few Swampfox dots in the past so I'd expect that he'll drop a video on this one since he wants to verify something is "duty grade" when a company makes that claim.
    https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/kraken
    Right off the bat the thing that stands out is the weight at 2.5 oz without battery. That's compared to the 1.7 oz of the 509t and the 2.1 oz of the Acro P-2. Is it heavy enough to start slowing down the slide enough to cause problems?
    Thanks for bringing this to our general attention. I suppose the more the merrier in terms of choices. I do hope this has some durability; it does appear to compete with Aimpoint and Steiner, reminiscent of both.
    Weight can be an issue. “It depends” on a variety of factors to include cartridge(pressure/impulse), platform and shooter. Weight on a slide may not be friendly to certain combinations.
    Paging @GJM and @YVK

Looks like they are introducing another foot print with 2 mounting bolts instead of one. Can we just settle on a mini pic rail spec that will take all these new side clamp closed emitter pistol dots? It almost seems like their approach is overkill on materials to dare someone to drop test it. The Kingslayer was decimated in the Sage test, the Justice cracked, and I think the Sentinel finally shattered. Was this designed specifically to pass that test? They do say it will fit in a Safariland holster.
    Name:  2022-08-11 17_45_59-Kraken Compact Closed Emitter Red dot _ High Performance Tactical Optics for.png
Views: 1931
Size:  56.2 KB

Anyone seen one with a dedicated mill job on a slide? Wonder how low you can mount them with a dedicated slide.

I’ve got 2 of the Justices. Been reliable on off duty and competition guns. I don’t consider them duty rated. But for what I can get them for on their LE program, they’re good for what I use them for.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Thanks for bringing this to our general attention. I suppose the more the merrier in terms of choices. I do hope this has some durability; it does appear to compete with Aimpoint and Steiner, reminiscent of both.
    Weight can be an issue. “It depends” on a variety of factors to include cartridge(pressure/impulse), platform and shooter. Weight on a slide may not be friendly to certain combinations.
    Paging @GJM and @YVK
    Gonna leave this one to GJM. I am outta guns that don't have optics...
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I keep reading this as "Swampfox Karen", and think that would be a dang fine name for a pistol optic.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    Looks like they are introducing another foot print with 2 mounting bolts instead of one. Can we just settle on a mini pic rail spec that will take all these new side clamp closed emitter pistol dots? It almost seems like their approach is overkill on materials to dare someone to drop test it. The Kingslayer was decimated in the Sage test, the Justice cracked, and I think the Sentinel finally shattered. Was this designed specifically to pass that test? They do say it will fit in a Safariland holster.
    Name:  2022-08-11 17_45_59-Kraken Compact Closed Emitter Red dot _ High Performance Tactical Optics for.png
Views: 1931
Size:  56.2 KB
    As best I understand it, the footprint with the two fasteners you highlight there is the footprint of the optic. They ship it with an adapter plate to make it fit an RMR or MOS style optics cut that the optic fastens to. That's what causes it to sit so high.

I think they would have been better off using an Acro cut for the mount, but c'est la vie.
    3/15/2016

Could the 2 bolt fastening be a way to get around potential IP issues with some of the 1 bolt designs?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List