Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire X300 Turbo - Initial review

Surefire X300 Turbo - Initial review

Attachment 92769

I'm a Surefire fan and have been eagerly awaiting the new Turbo series of weapon lights since I saw them at SHOT 2022. I have lots of time on various Surefire models throughout the years as well as the newer stuff from Modlite. I'm a fan in general of the "tighter" hot spot produced by higher candella lights. My new X300 Turbo seems to check this box compared to my other X300U 1000 lumen models. Time will tell if it holds up but the X300 series has a solid track record of being pretty durable.

** One odd change I noted however.

It seems many are not aware of the fact that all of the pistol lights, dating back to the X200's through to the newer X300 Ultra's had a removable spacer on the battery door. You simply just had to push out a few metal pins and the spacer could be removed. This allowed the light to sit further back towards the trigger guard. This extra little room allowed the light to mate up with pic rail grooves on smaller pistols like the HK P30. On the X300 Turbo, at least on my "A" model, the battery door has been changed and there is no longer a removable spacer. Not sure the reason for the change but it may be a problem for some.

Attachment 92771

Attachment 92772

Attachment 92773

The X300T-A is a no go on the HK P30

Attachment 92774

Will the older doors work on the Turbo?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Will the older doors work on the Turbo?
    That's a good question for sure. They will "fit" however, the circuit board on the end of the cover is different and I don't won't to risk it messing up something. Perhaps a question for Surefire tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    That's a good question for sure. They will "fit" however, the circuit board on the end of the cover is different and I don't won't to risk it messing up something. Perhaps a question for Surefire tech.
    Prudent and wise.

A buddy sent me this photo. He’s a light nerd.

Name:  7F7EDD72-E6F0-4E6A-BC25-0A81A5C8A846.jpg
Views: 4440
Size:  43.5 KB

He said the sign is 25-30 yards away.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I keep checking the SF website for them because I've got a 40% off code. Alas, the site keeps telling me to check with distributors.

I'm looking forward to getting one of these.

I got one on Monday, and will play with it this weekend.

I'm not necessarily a fan of Lucas Botkin, but this video has some pretty good comparison and beam footage.

I'm not really sure where I line up on this one. There are many instances in the video where illuminating one of the "close" targets left the other 2 completely in the dark with the Turbo, where you could see all 3 easily with the Ultra. The Turbo is obviously going to win out at distance (which isn't much of a concern for handgun use for me) and photonic barriers and being able to provide more control over an individual (which are a concern for me), but I'm not sure if the gain there would be worth what you'd give up in situational awareness.

If I was buying one of these to put on a carbine that could be used outside, I'd take the Turbo without question. For a handgun, I think I'd really prefer something in the middle of the two instead of having to pick between two extremes (the Ultra is 11k candela and the Turbo is 66k). Something along the lines of the Modlite PLHv2 with ~40k candela and a bit more spill would really shine in that role (sorry, couldn't help it).

I'll probably stick with the Ultra for pistol use and combine that with my higher candela handheld.

They changed the door design approximately 1.5 years ago.
    My newer X300s all have the fixed battery cap door with no pins.

The older ones with pins are swappable with no issues.

Surefire X300 Turbo - Initial review

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post

I'm not necessarily a fan of Lucas Botkin, but this video has some pretty good comparison and beam footage.

I'm not really sure where I line up on this one. There are many instances in the video where illuminating one of the "close" targets left the other 2 completely in the dark with the Turbo, where you could see all 3 easily with the Ultra. The Turbo is obviously going to win out at distance (which isn't much of a concern for handgun use for me) and photonic barriers and being able to provide more control over an individual (which are a concern for me), but I'm not sure if the gain there would be worth what you'd give up in situational awareness.

If I was buying one of these to put on a carbine that could be used outside, I'd take the Turbo without question. For a handgun, I think I'd really prefer something in the middle of the two instead of having to pick between two extremes (the Ultra is 11k candela and the Turbo is 66k). Something along the lines of the Modlite PLHv2 with ~40k candela and a bit more spill would really shine in that role (sorry, couldn't help it).

I'll probably stick with the Ultra for pistol use and combine that with my higher candela handheld.
    I haven’t understood why people have been leaning towards the super throw craze on pistols. Got it on the barriers but the trade off in spill and battery run time seemed more limiting for handguns to me…

I’ll definitely get one of the full size scout versions though, I have some LPVO guns that need the extra throw but haven’t wanted to deal with Modlites low battery run time. Looks like SureFire was able to squeeze more out of theirs. Plus I think they can use CR123s as well IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I haven’t understood why people have been leaning towards the super throw craze on pistols. Got it on the barriers but the trade off in spill and battery run time seemed more limiting for handguns to me…

I’ll definitely get one of the full size scout versions though, I have some LPVO guns that need the extra throw but haven’t wanted to deal with Modlites low battery run time. Looks like SureFire was able to squeeze more out of theirs. Plus I think they can use CR123s as well IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I can see where it might make sense for LEO but for most regular folks, not so much. I keep a handheld OKW in my back pocket for reaching out when the need arises but I can't imagine a situation where I'm pulling my pistol and needing a WML to see that far down range to make a "good shoot".
    Maybe if I lived out in the country and needed to pop a coyote at 75 yds but I'd rather use a rifle for that.

User Tag List