Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surefire X300 Turbo - Initial review

I don't have a WML on any of my pistols, but if I did I'd go with the high-candela X300 Turbo.

Being able to illuminate targets at greater distances is IMO not what the high-candela light discussion should be about. A few of my own observations and comments;

• For a civilian, it's more likely to need the pistol in a low light environment, not a totally dark one. The need for bright spill in those conditions is largely lost.
    • I have found the higher candela light creates greater contrast of the sights on the target, making sight alignment easier
    • If I can leverage a photonic barrier to my advantage, the high-candela light makes that easier to do
    • Inside a normal size residential room, there is so much reflection from the ceiling and walls that the high-candela beam still illuminates the entire space
    • At 34 feet, the well-defined center beam of the Malkoff E2HT (500 lumens / 35,000 candela) measures about 24 inches in diameter. Simply centering that beam on an IDPA target makes it abundantly clear that it can be used for effective aiming at typical pistol fight distances.

Navigating a pitch-black road is easier with a broad beam. But once I become "target focused" on a threat, a more focused beam to illuminate the threat as much as possible is IMO an advantage.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

An X300 at 12:00 with a DD fixed front sight makes a very useful long gun WML. It's not great for mag dumps in the same spot but if you're searching and working cover with a light it works really well. I plan on buying one of the turbos and going side by side with our current 1000 lumen X300s. As a practical matter, LE carbine gun fights tend to be close range affairs and I'm not convinced the loss of spill is worth it. That is why we try before we replace everything.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    An X300 at 12:00 with a DD fixed front sight makes a very useful long gun WML. It's not great for mag dumps in the same spot but if you're searching and working cover with a light it works really well. I plan on buying one of the turbos and going side by side with our current 1000 lumen X300s. As a practical matter, LE carbine gun fights tend to be close range affairs and I'm not convinced the loss of spill is worth it. That is why we try before we replace everything.
    All 3 of my 11.5" guns are setup this way and it works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    They changed the door design approximately 1.5 years ago.
    My newer X300s all have the fixed battery cap door with no pins.

The older ones with pins are swappable with no issues.
    Isn't the fix for fitting sometimes to use the universal instead of Picatinny, even if your pistol uses Picatinny? This is what I found with my X300 and multiple H&K's, picatinny adapter was a no-go but could be worked with universal swapped in.

User Tag List