Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How’s this, from the brain surgeons in Albany…?

How’s this, from the brain surgeons in Albany…?

State to restrict the carrying of firearms at the NYS Fair!
    https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-...rk-state-fair/

I’m shocked that NYS permits on duty LEOs to be armed at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    When 9/1 rolls around, this is what happens to concealed carry in NYS. From a rather liberal (in the classic sense) set of restrictions, in a counter punch to NYSPRA vs. Buren we get this:

Sensitive locations and Private Property

Certain locations are always unsafe for guns, and this legislation makes concealed carry in sensitive locations a punishable crime. Sensitive locations include:

Airports
    Bars and restaurants that serve alcohol
    Courthouses
    Daycare facilities, playgrounds and other locations where children gather
    Educational Institutions
    Emergency shelters, including domestic violence shelters and homeless shelters
    Entertainment venues
    Federal, state, and local government buildings
    Health and medical facilities
    Houses of worship
    Libraries
    Polling sites
    Public demonstrations and rallies
    Public transportation including subways and buses
    Times Square

The law also makes 'no carry' the default for private property, unless deemed permissible by property owners. This gives power to business and property owners to decide whether or not they want guns in their establishments, which could include bars, restaurants, shops or grocery stores. Property owners who do decide to allow concealed carry will have to disclose with signage saying concealed carry is allowed on the premises. This allows people to make an informed decision on whether or not they want to be in a space where people could potentially be carrying a weapon.
    Guns in cars must be in a lock box.
    I've not seen whether there a significant successful court challenge to these restrictions. GOA and a local politician have filed suit. The NYSPRA (and this might be totally wrong) seems to be waiting for something (the 4 returned cases?). I dunno. However, it means (unless there is a quick court stay), that practical concealed carry is done for in NYS for a long time. The opt in provision is nasty and clever. It is a reverse ploy as compared to states like TX that require ban signs. I cannot see the thousands of businesses in NYS putting up progun signs. I also fear that if challenge in Scotus, they would go along with that provision with some MUH PROPERTY RIGHTZ and wedding cake blather.

Paging all Sociopaths. The NY State Fair welcomes your attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Paging all Sociopaths. The NY State Fair welcomes your attendance.
    Some nasty little incel somewhere is plotting and dreaming of Glory.

Who didn’t see this coming?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    That has been my constant drum beat that the Scotus decision was inadequate in protecting against the counter punch. As in Heller, there were flaws that were jumped on. However, if you critique the 'victory' you are a bad person, or so I'm told. See, now there can be many more cases so that the RKBA can be expanded - that's what said. Just like after Heller but wow, the AWBs survived on the local level and quoted Scalia for support.

Pragmatically, perhaps Clarence and crew will clear this up but in real time, it's a CF. I've opined that the court doesn't really understand the everyday gun world and wanders into legal weeds and do not see the problems in not clearly delineating the carry rights. Vague or oblique statements about sensitive places or this or that weapon might be banned is not the way to do it. Clarence was so clever to say that you can't ban Manhattan - so what - the opt in rules bans every business in the state unless the business takes the proactive gun step - which few will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Public demonstrations and rallies

Seems to me to be an immediate thing for first and second amendment violations.

Site Supporter
    In Texas, permit holders get an express line for the state fair, and the capital building.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I wonder where this will spread to next.
    #RESIST

User Tag List