Thread: Range Day With 617

Range Day With 617

Loaded up a few boxes with CCI Mini Mags, Federal Golden Bullets and Federal Auto Match today. Only 1 failure in 300 rounds, that was an AutoMatch that wouldn't go off even after the 4th try.

I just reamed the chambers so that my ammo would drop freely after firing. It worked and all 300 rounds simply dropped out of the cylinder after each loading.

I used my DS-10 speed loader and loading blocks from SpeedBeez. The DS-10s sure help when you want to do a lot of shooting and have little time to do it.

The 617 is set with a double action trigger pull of just over 8 pounds and it reliably shot all the ammo I used. I was really worried about the Mini Mags because they had required 10 pounds to fire but they are working now and I'm happy.

Name:  617 4 with ammo and loader.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  50.5 KB

I just picked up an identical revolver, except for the dot. You mention tight chambers (mine are much looser than a model 17-2 that I have). How often do you have to brush out the chambers to keep the gun functioning? My 17-2 requires chamber brushing every 4 cylinders fired. I considered have the chambers honed/reamed, but the gun is so accurate that I figure it's just the cost of a tight, accurate gun. How has reaming affected the need to brush the chambers?

I have a similar Speed Beez set up for my 6 shot 17-2, and am about to pull the trigger on the 617-6 for a 10 round setup. What speed loader are you using? It doesn't look like a Speed Beez. Does it fit in the Speed Beez box?

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I just picked up an identical revolver, except for the dot. You mention tight chambers (mine are much looser than a model 17-2 that I have). How often do you have to brush out the chambers to keep the gun functioning? My 17-2 requires chamber brushing every 4 cylinders fired. I considered have the chambers honed/reamed, but the gun is so accurate that I figure it's just the cost of a tight, accurate gun. How has reaming affected the need to brush the chambers?

I have a similar Speed Beez set up for my 6 shot 17-2, and am about to pull the trigger on the 617-6 for a 10 round setup. What speed loader are you using? It doesn't look like a Speed Beez. Does it fit in the Speed Beez box?
    Op stated it's a ds-10 loader. Can be purchased here - https://www.revolversupply.com/speed...ot-ds-10-swch/

My 617 will go for all 8 stages of a steel challenge match without needing cleaning. That's about as long as I've went personally without cleaning in some fashion.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post

John, the DS-10 in the picture is one of the originals. I have about 20 of them that I've accumulated over the years from friends that won them at matches and didn't have a use for them. I like the DS-10s better than the SpeedBeez because they hold the ammo better and release easier. They also cost a lot less, $27 from Revolver Supply Co.

I shot today to see how the gun would work after reaming. I was able to fire Mini Mags that wouldn't go off before the reaming. I had to clean the cylinders after 5 reloads with Mini's but now I tested 300 rounds and everything dropped out freely.

With my 6 inch 617 I've fired as many as 500 rounds before cleaning.

Accuracy actually improved after the reaming. I don't know why but I'll take it.

The DS-10s will fit in the SpeedBeez loading blocks. They are the same size. I have 3 Pelican boxes that hold 140 rounds and 2 of the SpeedBeez that hold 100 rounds each. That's plenty of ammo to get me through a Steel Challenge Match.

Good luck with your setup. If you decide to do your cylinder it's not hard just make sure you use plenty of oil and take your time.

Backtrail and AZ Shooter, thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List