Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 31 Gen 4

Glock 31 Gen 4

Tell me a bit about these pistols, please? I know the 9mm Gen 4's had serious ejection problems, was this ever a thing with .40 or .357 models? I have an RCS Eidolon holster that I bought for G19X thinking it would fit but the ambi slide catch is in the way as these were designed for Gen 4 Glocks. So I'm looking for a gun to use in this holster and don't have .357 currently, figure why not just because you never know...

I have some experience with the Gen4 .40s, a bit of shooting- only a few hundred rounds- with the .357 and as a side note, a lot with a personal compact G19 (9mm).
    I am not personally aware of any functional issues with the Gen4 .357s, but I have not seen a lot of them. To me, the cartridge is unpleasant to shoot- lots of blast and usually spectacular muzzle flash. IMO, it’s hard on guns and shooters. I would certainly change the recoil spring assembly(dual) every few thousand rounds. The parts list # is the same for .40 and .357; .357 has a different ejector listed also. If memory serves, the round w/a 125 gr.projectile left the muzzle at 1200+fps out of a service size pistol.
    If you like and can work with the cartridge, have at it. Texas DPS was reportedly impressed with the cartridge out of SIGs years ago, and the Secret Service and FAMs used it for awhile. I don’t think any major department issues anymore- @HCM ?
    The G31 would be the one I’d pick if asked; but I’m rocking a fine 9 most days now…

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I have some experience with the Gen4 .40s, a bit of shooting- only a few hundred rounds- with the .357 and as a side note, a lot with a personal compact G19 (9mm).
    I am not personally aware of any functional issues with the Gen4 .357s, but I have not seen a lot of them. To me, the cartridge is unpleasant to shoot- lots of blast and usually spectacular muzzle flash. IMO, it’s hard on guns and shooters. I would certainly change the recoil spring assembly(dual) every few thousand rounds. The parts list # is the same for .40 and .357; .357 has a different ejector listed also. If memory serves, the round w/a 125 gr.projectile left the muzzle at 1200+fps out of a service size pistol.
    If you like and can work with the cartridge, have at it. Texas DPS was reportedly impressed with the cartridge out of SIGs years ago, and the Secret Service and FAMs used it for awhile. I don’t think any major department issues anymore- @HCM ?
    The G31 would be the one I’d pick if asked; but I’m rocking a fine 9 most days now…
    The only remaining large users of .357 SIG I’m aware of are the VA and NC Highway Patrols. VA with SIG P320s, NC with SIG P226s. VA has been using SIGs in 357 for decades. NC went from Beretta 92Fs in 9mm, to a variety of .357s, started with the Beretta Cougar, then the SIG P229 (DAK ?) then the S&W M&P 357, then back to SIG P226s in 357.

USSS, FAMS, TX DPS, OKHP, etc have all moved on to 9mms.

NC Highway Patrol is now issuing the Sig 320 in .357 Sig.

I have been using Glocks in .357 Sig since the turn of the century and have a mountain of factory ammo that was acquired dirt cheap. I got 90% of it as various LE agencies like TX DPS and others at different points in time dropped it, and the wholesalers sold off parts of their surplus inventories. I remember at one time I paid $299/1000 for Gold Dots, $279/1000 for Lawman, and loaded up back then.

I had a 31.4 and only solid it because I prefer the G19/32 profile guns for carry. I never had a single malfunction or issue with that 31.4 using Speer Gold Dots (hotter XX324 version), speer lawman, federal AE rounds. Probably 1500 rounds through the gun when I sold it, have a 32.4 instead. In my perception the gen 4 improved the felt recoil in the .357 Glocks with the dual spring recoil spring assembly over the gen 3 guns. I did employ the Glock 31 labeled magazines and followers which seemed to also work fine with the KKM .40 caliber conversion barrel I had for mine. A data point of one.

I know TN Highway Patrol issued G31.4 until just recently, like the last year. Changed for all the obvious reasons the others did from what I have heard, not a specific failing of the G31 itself.

MV with the xx324 spec Gold Dots was 1390 fps in that 31 according to my saved chrono sheet.
    Last edited by fatdog; 08-10-2022 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks, @HCM.

@fatdog - I am envious-I might have a G31 with that stash. And, yikes, didn’t realize the velocity got that high!

I have seen .40 mags run in GSSF competitions with no issue. My approach would be to run .40 mags for practice and dedicate the .357s to carry.

Edit to add: I seem to recall Paul Howe ran some Glock .357, but switched to a 9mm Glock- not sure why. Sort of dreaming here, but put an aftermarket 6” barrel in- yeow!
    Last edited by 1Rangemaster; 08-10-2022 at 03:12 PM.

I had one for a spell and loved it. It was a laser. I got a Gen 4 G22 and then decided to ditch the 31 but wish I hadn't. Ran great. As did my Gen 4 G22. As did my two Gen 4 G17s and two Gen 4 19s so there's that to factor in. I have the touch with picking Glock pistols.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I had one for a spell and loved it. It was a laser. I got a Gen 4 G22 and then decided to ditch the 31 but wish I hadn't. Ran great. As did my Gen 4 G22. As did my two Gen 4 G17s and two Gen 4 19s so there's that to factor in. I have the touch with picking Glock pistols.
    You see I think what happened with the Gen 4 small frames (9/40/357) was they sort of engineered them for the .40/.357 and went backwards from that to make the 9's which were problematic and had a bunch of 'improvements' to get them to run (mine never were cured after a trip back to Smyrna so I moved on to another platform. I've not read reports of issues with these and it would make sense if that were true.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Thanks, @HCM.

@fatdog -put an aftermarket 6” barrel in- yeow!
    I still have in my box of parts, a KKM .357 barrel for the Glock 35. Interesting thing about that, I had a police trade G35.4, it was 1437 fps with those Gold dots according to the old spreadsheet!

However no matter what I did to that gun, HRED plunger, aftermarket extractor, it was 100% brass to the face or forehead all the time for every round fired, nothing I tried, even changing generations of the ejector would solve it for .357 rounds. G35 went down the road and the KKM 5.35" stainless .357 barrel is still in the parts box, I should sell that.

I have the Glock .357 SIG barrel for my .40 Gen4 G22; I've been really pleased with it. When I initially got it, I was a bit concerned about POA/POI, and the OEM G31 rear sight as the G31 comes from Glock is with the higher rear sight, but fortunately (at least on mine, on "IDPA distances {5' to 10-15 yards on the average}" I have the same POA/POI as with the .40 barrel.

I also got 3 G31 .357 SIG magazines, although you really don't need them; the OEM .40 magazines historically work just fine in both chamberings for G22/G31 guns; according to a discussion I had with a Glock technician some time back, it's with the compact G23/G32 that you need the caliber-specific magazines-something to do with follower and insertion/cartridge presentment angle. In that discussion, the RSA replacement interval is the same regardless of which chambering is used in the gun (or switching between barrels/chamberings).

.357 SIG is a great caliber option, and I personally don't find there to be a terribly significant difference in blast and recoil characteristics between .40 and .357 SIG.

Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger 125gr cartridges are my carry loads of choice; for wilderness use I use the .40 barrel with the 140 gr Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators, but with the .357 SIG barrel I'd likely defer to their similar cartridge in .357 SIG.

Best, Jon

User Tag List