Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Consensus on Number of Rounds of Defensive Ammo to Vet Contemporary Pistols

Site Supporter

Current Consensus on Number of Rounds of Defensive Ammo to Vet Contemporary Pistols

I started carrying way back in the 80s. The conventional wisdom at that time was that autoloaders required at least 500-1000 rounds before they could be considered reliable enough to carry. Back then, 1911s were the standard, and the high round count was considered necessary because, well, 1911s gonna 1911.

Contemporary autoloaders with contemporary defensive ammunition are pretty much faultless. I put three magazines of 124-grain +P HST through my new G45 plus a couple hundred rounds of hardball and called it good, and I’m comfortable carrying it. It has since gone through several hundred more rounds of hardball and coated lead bullet ammo with no issues.

I’m about to take delivery on an LE trade-in M&P40. My plan is to shoot the two magazines of 180-grain HST from my current M&P40 plus about 100 rounds of my handloads and call it good. I figure it’s already broken in.

Do I need to do more?

Site Supporter
    I've always done about 100-150 rounds with a field strip, clean, inspect, in between with pistols like G17, G19, HK's, M&P, B92s...

Poa/poi is more pertinent imo than durability in a Modern pistol from a known brand.

Never put much stock in the torture test aspect. Really each additional round is closer to a wear induced failure from a service life standpoint.

But I don’t even carry a firearm anymore so wtf do I know

If you’ve shot it at all with your chosen load and it works then your probably good.

Site Supporter
    I’d clean, detail strip, replace all springs (RSA, striker, etc.) and I normally put about 300-500 rounds and a magazine or two of JHP if you’re carrying it before calling it good.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I’d clean, detail strip, replace all springs (RSA, striker, etc.) and I normally put about 300-500 rounds and a magazine or two of JHP if you’re carrying it before calling it good.
    I got an RSA and magazine spring, didn’t think to get a striker spring. Thanks for the reminder!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I got an RSA and magazine spring, didn’t think to get a striker spring. Thanks for the reminder!
    It’s probably fine, but I figure you have no idea the number of rounds through it. Also, first handgun to new gun owners. We used to let oil into the firing pin channel when oiling the slide on a Glock 21 about 12-15 years ago. It caused the unforeseen (to us) issue of carbon/gunk accumulating in the striker channel. ETA: This led to sporadic but increasing light primer strikes.

Which that kind of experience is why I recommended the detail strip, clean, spring replacements and test firing.

Let us know how it shoots!
    God Bless,

Brandon

Just some food for thought.

If you are going to gussy up your gun, replace parts, disassemble, detail strip, clean, lube and reassemble you had better make darn sure it still works!

I know some serious dudes who said they never went outside the wire with a clean gun. Always test fired after any maintenance before going to work.

Name:  D93B523B-B604-493C-9817-1403899FF173.jpeg
Views: 764
Size:  61.2 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Field strip/inspect and clean it as soon as I get it. After that:
    New: Follow mfg break-in recommendation then 2-3 magazines of EDC ammo. If there is no break-in recommendation it's the same as a used gun.
    Used: 300-400 rounds range fodder and 2-3 magazines of EDC ammo.

If a modern handgun survives "infant mortality" then I consider it good to go. If you take decent care of your gun those endurance tests are useless IMHO.

If you have a red dot on your pistol, I think you want to shoot enough rounds to confirm your mounting screws are not too long and compromising extractor function, that your plate and/or optics screws are secure, Andy the dot is zeroed and holding zero.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List