Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Consensus on Number of Rounds of Defensive Ammo to Vet Contemporary Pistols

When we transitioned to glocks. I think we were given 150 rounds (might have been 100) and then were good to go. I typically do 100 rounds of duty/defense loads but I don’t really switch guns much.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

I have a few brand new Glock 19Ms coming into my office soon to replace our Gen 3 spares, and I plan on running them each with ~200+ rounds of duty ammo before placing them into service.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Easy button.... Buy H&K and remove factory grease, lubricate per instruction manual. Load factory magazines w/ reputable carry ammunition that is loaded on the warm side. Place in holster.

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    How did the Glocks fail?

I’m comfortable with a box or two of ball and a magazine or two of duty ammunition, which seems to be accepted by some in the thread. I remember when the Gen4 Glock issues were at the forefront of forum discussion, some had the ejection/extraction issues after a few thousand rounds expended, which should be considered for any blanket recommendation…
    Both were failures to extract or eject(don't know which because they were cleared at speed). One was a Gen2 17 and the other was a Gen3 17. Rounds were 127+P+ Talon and then 124+P Gold Dots. Both occurred at around the 5th or 6th round in the burst.
    One from the ready and the second from a strong hand only draw.
    It was...scarring to my tranquility of soul.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I started carrying way back in the 80s. The conventional wisdom at that time was that autoloaders required at least 500-1000 rounds before they could be considered reliable enough to carry. Back then, 1911s were the standard, and the high round count was considered necessary because, well, 1911s gonna 1911.

Contemporary autoloaders with contemporary defensive ammunition are pretty much faultless. I put three magazines of 124-grain +P HST through my new G45 plus a couple hundred rounds of hardball and called it good, and I’m comfortable carrying it. It has since gone through several hundred more rounds of hardball and coated lead bullet ammo with no issues.

I’m about to take delivery on an LE trade-in M&P40. My plan is to shoot the two magazines of 180-grain HST from my current M&P40 plus about 100 rounds of my handloads and call it good. I figure it’s already broken in.

Do I need to do more?
    With the caveat of strip, inspect, clean, lightly lube and replace springs/ mags if necessary, your 2 mags of “carry” and 100 practice rounds sound good. I’d do the practice first, shoot at least a few rounds single handed with each hand and verify at least at 25 yards w/what you’ll carry.
    Light clean and lube and drive on…

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Easy button.... Buy H&K and remove factory grease, lubricate per instruction manual. Load factory magazines w/ reputable carry ammunition that is loaded on the warm side. Place in holster.
    Just don’t put the bullets in the magazines backwards.

The devil’s in the details.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post

I've told this story before, but we had a genius fucking idiot agent that was virtually universally hated, who, at FLETC, was told to stagger the rounds in a magazine...and he tried to load one forward and one backward. No lie.

The same moron asked what PRNDL meant on the steering column of a vehicle during an EVOC course.

You can't make this shit up.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post

So much truth it hurts.... because you suck and we hate you....

99% of my handguns are LE trades. Various brands. Load mags and go shoot. Usually don't even bother pulling the slide off. Afterwards a quick basic clean and that's it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

The same moron asked what PRNDL meant on the steering column of a vehicle during an EVOC course.

You can't make this shit up.
    I'm not clever enough to come up with something on the fly, but I hope you or one of your colleagues came up with a great response.

I bet that person would have had a stroke if faced with a stick shift.

User Tag List