Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It Pays to Be a Retired LEO...

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    (Though you...personally...might be tempting fate...)
    Sometimes you gotta live a little dangerously. I say that knowing that at present, I am neither planning nor engaging in any felonious acts.

I should be good, at least until they actually make Thought Crime an actual crime. But at that point I think everyone might be in a bit of trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    "What's wrong? I don't automatically think they're guilty just because they're a criminal" is always a response they like to hear.
    I always tell people if they don’t want to be selected just say if they got arrested they must be guilty.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I've heard it said that a jury is just twelve people too dumb to get out of jury duty.

I don't necessarily believe that, because I always get voted off the island even though I would personally like to be a juror. But neither side wants impartiality, they want people who lean towards their side.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

The one time I went and actually got chosen for void dire I answered so many questions the Judge finally started posing questions as Other then Officer CF has anyone…. I got sent home early.

Plus I played hockey with the arresting Officer
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    I was shocked when Mrs. UNM1136 got selected. She was stoked even to be an alternate.. Felony DWI. I was only about a year or two out of the DWI Unit at the time.

I got summoned and assumed I would not get selected because of my job and current level of seniority. So I forgot to do the cute little survey until it was a week overdue. Then I failed to check in online account daily like I was told. Now I am staring at a summons for duty to start in three weeks, with my questionnaire due in two.

pat

I never make it past the question on jury nullification. Judges & prosecutors just love when you answer some variant of "do you believe juries can disregard the law?" with "well duh, any judge could decide whether a law was broken, but a jury trial ensures people in the community want that law enforced in this circumstance." Excused...

I gotta call Sunday night to see if I have to report Monday to Sarasota for duty...

Last time I was called, Judge asked everybody who had a FL CW/FL to raise their hand...I got dismissed.

I’ve sat through jury selection several times since becoming a part time bailiff last year. I’ve found it pretty interesting so far. Sometimes it’s hard to figure out what the attorneys are thinking. The judge (over thirty years on two different courts) always says he gave up trying to psychoanalyze attorneys a long time ago.

Site Supporter
    Got called a few years ago for criminal court. In the jury survey they asked a lot of questions about clubs, organizations memberships, etc.... I listed everything from NRA Lifer to PD and FD volunteer stuff and political clubs.. I got seated 21st in a jury pool of 24 for the DWI trial of a Mexican illegal (no English) and I got picked from deep on the bench because the other potential jurors were clearly trying to shirk it, and succeeded...

Even though I am likely the antithesis of the juror profile the defense was looking for, I'd wager heavily that nobody else on that jury was more concerned with upholding the law based on the actual facts of the case. Regardless of the guy's immigration status.

When he admitted on the stand to having drank "about 22 beers" that afternoon, it wasn't a difficult decision.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Last time I sat in the box the defense was a good friend of mine and the plaintiff’s counsel was a well known jackass. So after detailing our relationship I affirmed (repeatedly) I would be impartial and this guy burned his second peremptory of the day.

Got a nice Pinot Noir for that effort.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 08-09-2022 at 05:08 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List