Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It Pays to Be a Retired LEO...

It Pays to Be a Retired LEO...

...if your wife gets voir dired for a meth possession and distribution case in superior court.

She got the expected "Thanks, take the rest of the week off" speech after giving a rundown of my former areas of investigation.

So we got that going for us... though both of us are willing to serve.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    ...if your wife gets voir dired for a meth possession and distribution case in superior court.

She got the expected "Thanks, take the rest of the week off" speech after giving a rundown of my former areas of investigation.

So we got that going for us... though both of us are willing to serve.

Ironic that those best suited to be a juror are often times those least likely to be chosen.

"What's wrong? I don't automatically think they're guilty just because they're a criminal" is always a response they like to hear.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

I had to remember what 'voir dired' meant because I had a different perspective when I first read this...Once I remembered it - it made a lot more sense. Another cup of coffee is needed over here, clearly.

One of my TAs this summer had to go to jury duty summons. I told her, "You won't get selected."

"What not?"

"This is Arizona. A New York born and raised, Afro-Asian-Cuban, medical student, with a master's degree, isn't exactly a 'peer'." - Which isn't a knock on Arizonans, so much as a statement that the combination of all of those factors makes her unlikely to be selected for jury duty. Sure enough the next day she comes in and says, "So, they asked me what I do and I said I was a medical student and they just dismissed me immediately."

Yep...

Site Supporter
    I tend to shut up unless I'm asked a direct question during voir dire.

After my last jury, talking with the defense council (civil trial, we found for defendant), he pointed out that it's hard to disqualify people who don't say anything during VD, since, they have nothing they can point to as prejudicial other than the content of my jury survey.

Food for thought.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I had told her that she wouldn't be selected, as she hadn't been previously in Miami...despite her saying that they should hang the guilty bastard she could be fair and impartial to the defendant.

Oh well. Maybe someday.

(Who'm I kidding?)

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I had told her that she wouldn't be selected, as she hadn't been previously in Miami...despite her saying that they should hang the guilty bastard she could be fair and impartial to the defendant.

Oh well. Maybe someday.

(Who'm I kidding?)
    I mean, I want you or Mrs. Blues to be on my jury should I ever need one. Not because I think you'll be partial, but precisely the opposite, because I think you'll be impartial and apply the law as opposed to applying feelings to the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I mean, I want you or Mrs. Blues to be on my jury should I ever need one. Not because I think you'll be partial, but precisely the opposite, because I think you'll be impartial and apply the law as opposed to applying feelings to the situation.
    And I would be proud to have that opportunity. (It would be no different than the way I handled an investigation. If I didn't find evidence to support an indictment, or the spirit of the law, I wouldn't bring it to the U.S. Attorney's office.)

It's the same standard we should be able to expect from all citizens. But alas...

(Though you...personally...might be tempting fate...)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Ironic that those best suited to be a juror are often times those least likely to be chosen.
    I would actually be a pretty good juror. Thankfully I will never be picked regardless.

User Tag List