Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It Pays to Be a Retired LEO...

I can’t think of jury duty without thinking about this classic bit from Jerry Stiller:

Site Supporter
    The only time I was almost selected for jury duty my cousin was the desense lawyer on a murder trial. I had to sit at jury duty all day until I was dismissed because I answered truthfully.

I had always heard that engineers were never selected for jury duty. I was lied to. I got to waste three days of my life on she-said-he-said domestic abuse case.

Could have been worse. A coworker (engineer) got stuck on one for like six weeks. A murder case where some dude intentionally burned down his own house with his kids inside. My coworker became almost as misanthropic as me after that.

@TC215

I used to live pretty close to that courthouse in Queens.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    I was called up for jury duty. When questioned about my Army experience, I noted that I had worked both as a counterintelligence agent and interrogator. I wasn’t chosen.

Last time the wife got called for jury duty, she was waiting to be voir dired and noticed that the lead investigator was my old partner from the regional SWAT team. Plus, she had worked with a relative of the suspect at her hospital. The judge in the case lived in the town I worked in and recognized my wife's name because I had been parking in front of her house, due to threats, in between calls. It's weird that this happened in a county with 750k population. Dismissed.

Can't have a discussion about a wife being voir dired without thinking about

I have a friend—who happens to be the lead singer for a touring band—who showed up for jury duty wearing this t-shirt:

She did not get selected.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    When I saw the thread title, my first though was: ”Free doughnuts?”

Anyhoo, there was a state, awhile back, where the exemptions to jury duty were set by the rules of the state supreme court. It was getting too hard to seat juries, so the supremes basically said: "Fuck it. No more exemptions as of right. If you think you shouldn't have to serve on a jury, make your case to the presiding judge."

Soon after that, a federal judge was called for jury duty in state court. The federal judge explained that he had hearings and trials upcoming and they'd have to be rescheduled. The state court judge was unimpressed, pointing out that a lot of the other people in the jury pool also had to reschedule things. Neither of the attorneys wanted to try to claim that a judge couldn't be fair, so he was seated on the jury.

The judge later wrote an article for a local legal publication about it. He said that serving on a jury was one of the more significant legal experiences of his career. He said that he gained a lot of respect for jurors and recommended that any practicing attorney who got a chance to be on a jury should jump on it.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 08-10-2022 at 10:30 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Can't have a discussion about a wife being voir dired without thinking about

Back in the `90s, when countries in eastern Europe were trying to establish independent legal systems, my law school offered a one-year program for foreign lawyers in legal procedures. One of the sessions was a screening of "My Cousin Vinnie".
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List