Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prototype cover for RDS in holster

Prototype cover for RDS in holster

Update on the RDS field cover project: it works for the 509t2. (I haven't had a chance to try it for the Acro yet, but will get to it soon).

Parts

Instructions:
    • Cut front tab off cover if it gets in the way.
    • Cut 1/8" horizontal slit at front bottom of cover.
    • Cut two 1/8" horizontal slits 1/32" apart at rear bottom of cover. Pull rubber out to make one wider slit. NOTE: I am now thinking that a round hole from a paper punch will be better at the rear, for function and durability.
    • Cut 16" length of coreless paracord. Melt ends.
    • Tie a Stevedore Stopper knot or equivalent at one end.
    • Push/pull unknotted end of paracord through the front and rear slits in cover using your fingernails.
    • Install cover so that paracord runs on the midline parallel to the muzzle with no slack on the inside of cover.
    • Holster gun.
    • Tie paracord to belt with minimal slack.

Drawing the gun tightens the paracord on the inside of the cover, removing it.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-17-2022 at 01:22 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Public disclosure

If this is just a project that you wish to share with the community - soldier on. If you have the intent to seek a patent you should stop posting images/sketches - or even discussing your ideas. This is a public disclosure and will prevent you from obtaining a patent to protect the IP.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC_0170 View Post
    If this is just a project that you wish to share with the community - soldier on. If you have the intent to seek a patent you should stop posting images/sketches - or even discussing your ideas. This is a public disclosure and will prevent you from obtaining a patent to protect the IP.
    Thanks, I'm aware of that. I've been down that road a few times, and at this point in life & career would rather open-source ideas. It's just more fun that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Thanks for the offer! I really appreciate it. I already have 9 patents that haven't earned that much money. While I enjoy inventing things, I do not like selling things or being an entrepreneur.

It made me happy to develop the Junk Carry Pillow and see @Mack turn it into a commercial product.

Similarly if someone else takes this concept and runs with it, all I ask is a few units for my own use.

Site Supporter
    Somehow I missed this when you first posted.

How are going to keep the cover from obstructing or falling into the holster after the draw? Especially on the OWB holster it looks like where you have the paracord anchored it might end up with the cover in the holster often enough for it to be problematic.

Thanks, I'm aware of that. I've been down that road a few times, and at this point in life & career would rather open-source ideas. It's just more fun that way.
    As we discussed, if you’re going to tie it to your holster anyway, I’d use a shorter cord (less tangle and potential issue) and tie it in front (drawn in blue).

Name:  66972D87-ACED-4744-8BF3-7475A48AB7DC.jpeg
Views: 217
Size:  35.9 KB

Actually if you tie it to the top, then it’ll pull off by itself and no need to slit it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Somehow I missed this when you first posted.

How are going to keep the cover from obstructing or falling into the holster after the draw? Especially on the OWB holster it looks like where you have the paracord anchored it might end up with the cover in the holster often enough for it to be problematic.
    Yes, this is definitely a “use at your own risk” device. So far, the cover falls clear of the holster, but you never know.

For a field holster, I’m less worried about the time needed to make sure the holster is free of obstruction. For a duty holster, your point is a very good one.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    As we discussed, if you’re going to tie it to your holster anyway, I’d use a shorter cord (less tangle and potential issue) and tie it in front (drawn in blue).

Name:  66972D87-ACED-4744-8BF3-7475A48AB7DC.jpeg
Views: 217
Size:  35.9 KB

Actually if you tie it to the top, then it’ll pull off by itself and no need to slit it at all.
    Good idea about front attachment. My initial testing indicated that without the tension of the cord inside the cover, it won’t pop off without a lot of force.

Having a longer cord seemed to help as well because the gun was free of the holster.

Remember the old rubbery plastic clamshell change purses? How about something akin to that, split and maybe slightly overlapping on the back edge, affixed to the holster so it just parts and seals back around the back of the optic when you holster the pistol?

PDMS (silicone) or Neoprene (e.g. Scopeguard) seem like promising materials.

I agree that a full hard shell could be difficult for reliable detachment on the draw. A Neoprene cover with hard polymer insert(s), perhaps?
    My first thought... Which optic do you want to test it with? I've got some access to some tech that might bypass a pile of R&D and production woes. Second, do we have any Aimpoint contacts that could get me some CAD? I'm texting Wayne Dobbs as we speak.

err... Nevermind, scrolled further and saw what I was gonna make.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    My first thought... Which optic do you want to test it with? I've got some access to some tech that might bypass a pile of R&D and production woes. Second, do we have any Aimpoint contacts that could get me some CAD? I'm texting Wayne Dobbs as we speak.

err... Nevermind, scrolled further and saw what I was gonna make.
    Awesome! Glad I’ve got your interest in this project. Let me know if I can do any testing or help with anything.

User Tag List