Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Prototype cover for RDS in holster

A few thoughts.

1) this seems like it would work best with the Acro shape. People are constantly dropping their Range Panda optics covers just walking around stages. Ironically the open emitter designs that most need a cover have the least cover friendly form factors.

2) for AIWB, my clothing works pretty well.

3) for open carry, a Safariland RDS holster is decent -- we just need to convince them to make one for a Glock 20/21, HK P30 and USP.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Nice work dude!
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Hmm…
    I seem to recall seeing/ reading of something called a “jellyfish” which was a soft rubbery cover for RMRs(?)

My thought contribution is a relatively hard polymer cover with a “ thumb push” at top end as pistol sits in holster. Coupled with a string/lanyard attached to top.As one draws, thumb hits extension to push off. If that fails, string pulls away on drawstroke.
    Might not work with a security holster…
    Thinking it through a little further, wouldn’t all you need is a top cover? Pistol with ACRO/Steiner/ 509T is going to sit with forward lens down…
    Yes, good idea. There are some rubbery covers already available. So, maybe all it would require is to attach a cord and perhaps make a small cut?

https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Plastic...dp/B095J3J6F3/
    https://www.amazon.com/JooFn-Silicon...dp/B07Q6WTWL2/
    https://www.amazon.com/Scope-Cover-H...dp/B0B23RWTY7/

About forward lens protection: I would want that as well. Crawling through dense brush got my Acro snagged from the front.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Dream Plastics santoprene covers for Acro and 509t inbound. I'll post again after trying to modify them for release when the gun is drawn from a holster.

Prototype cover for RDS in holster

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A few thoughts.

1) this seems like it would work best with the Acro shape. People are constantly dropping their Range Panda optics covers just walking around stages. Ironically the open emitter designs that most need a cover have the least cover friendly form factors.

2) for AIWB, my clothing works pretty well.

3) for open carry, a Safariland RDS holster is decent -- we just need to convince them to make one for a Glock 20/21, HK P30 and USP.
    1) yes this is a challenge. I've seen that as well, and if a cover is to be useful it has to stay robustly on the gun until it's drawn. Fortunately, closed-emitter optics are the wave of the future, and seem to lend themselves to covers more readily.

2) agreed. The cover concept is mainly for OWB.

3) I hate having to buy a new holster every time I change something on a gun--WML, RDS. Holsters seem to lag years behind other gear. If the cover concept works, I think I'll choose that over a bulky holster that only works with a narrow set of gear.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-09-2022 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Dream Plastics santoprene covers for Acro and 509t inbound. I'll post again after trying to modify them for release when the gun is drawn from a holster.
    Right on. I'm interested to see how well it works. I have a couple of ideas that are percolating, but not there yet.

As a retired Scout Leader, I'd want to see some improvements on those knots.

Kidding. Cool idea. Kudos for thinking of this.

I’m interested in the “box dots” as I’m invested in them and see their advantages.
    @Clusterfrack : it seems to me the rubber covers are headed in the right direction. Thoughts-
    1) The tab I see in the image could have a hole punched in it. Tightly secure that to holster/belt. Slit the back sides(like a flap) and draw through it. Or,
    2)Have a tab/loop at back that wipes the cover off.

Of course, it’s your money…

Dream plastics are nice and rubbery and stretchy. I use one as a rain cover for my CO gun.

I think that will work well for you. Maybe even with just a small slit in the corner to help release on pull.

I just ordered them for RMR and RMRcc - I’ll be watching how this works.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List