Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Prototype cover for RDS in holster

Prototype cover for RDS in holster

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    …I’d use a shorter cord (less tangle and potential issue) and tie it in front...
    Winner winner chicken dinner. Attaching the cord at the front works. Effort to draw is noticeably greater, as the cover is pushed off, but the draw remains smooth. I like it. @orionz06

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Winner winner chicken dinner. Attaching the cord at the front works. Effort to draw is noticeably greater, as the cover is pushed off, but the draw remains smooth. I like it. @orionz06
    Will take you up on the chicken dinner if there’s beer involved lol.

What I like about your final design is the way tightening the cord pushes the optic out… kind of like the strap used on electronics to eject AA batteries from their cradles.

Site Supporter
    You might get a crisper action on the draw and reduce wear on the optic cover if you put a delrin or other sturdy plastic washer in between the knot and optic cover on the back of the optic. It would at least make pulling the knot through the hole in the optic cover a little more difficult.

I ordered a few of these same brand covers for my RMR and RMRcc equipped Glocks with the idea of trying this. One thing I noticed is that they are fitted for a high mount and cover the entire sight all the way around - my direct milled sights sit lower and will require the covers to be trimmed. Did you have to do much of that?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

And I'm sitting here remembering when I just cut out a chunk of the Safariland holster in order to create room for the optic.

Name:  holster.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  70.2 KB

Circa 2012

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I ordered a few of these same brand covers for my RMR and RMRcc equipped Glocks with the idea of trying this. One thing I noticed is that they are fitted for a high mount and cover the entire sight all the way around - my direct milled sights sit lower and will require the covers to be trimmed. Did you have to do much of that?
    I did not have to trim. The cover sits a couple of mm high, but is tight. And, a little added space at the top leaves room for the coreless paracord.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Will take you up on the chicken dinner if there’s beer involved lol.

What I like about your final design is the way tightening the cord pushes the optic out… kind of like the strap used on electronics to eject AA batteries from their cradles.
    It's a date.

I want to mention that the cord-tightening action that pushes the cover off also functions when the strap is pulled from the rear of the optic. In fact, it's a little smoother because the gun is free of the holster (for physics reasons).

For ALS holsters, a ring-tongue lug could go under the screw that secures the ALS mechanism, giving you a tie-off point without drilling extra holes in the holster.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Prototype cover for RDS in holster

Final version of the prototype cover for the 509t2. I’ll test it on an elk hunt with @Cdub_NW next weekend.

Thanks @Caballoflaco for the delrin washer idea. The lower hole that the cord slides through is round (used a hole punch) to avoid tearing. @orionz06

The cover worked well on an (unsuccessful but fun) elk hunt with @Cdub_NW. The location was extremely dusty, with a mix of Great Basin moon dust and volcanic ash. It was a perfect test for gear.

User Tag List