Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-milled slide mount

Non-milled slide mount

I have a G26 and due to my wearing bifocals I have been looking at an RMR. Unfortunately, Glock doesn't make an OEM slide for my 26 that is cut for a red dot. Glock will not sell a slide to me, even via an armoror. 3rd party OEM as well as after market slides are either not available or prohibitively expensive.

I will not send my slide out to get milled.

I have recently read of a company called Velocity Precission Engineering that makes a mount that attaches to the rear sight dove tail in the slide. I had a lengthy conversation today with the owner and I was very impressed with him. He recommended, and several LE friends have also recommended a Holosun 507C GR as my optic, although this may change as I review other options.

My question for the SMEs here... is this mounting option (a plate attached to the slide via the rear dove tail only) a viable and secure mount? It may not be idea, but so far it seems to be my only option short of buying a different gun (which I may still do).

Is a $200 brownells slide too much? Could easily sell it if its not your cup of tea.

"Not ideal" is definitely the best description for that product. It will certainly let you dip your toes into the RDS pool but that's about it.
    That mount lacks a rear iron so it's only good for the range or competition in my opinion... Any self defense/duty pistol should have BUIS.
    It also mounts the dot really high which is not optimal for finding the dot on presentation... You could train around that but it's an added complication.
    As for how well the mount would survive a hard drop I have no idea but I wouldn't trust it not to shift or outright fail.
    It's a cheap and easy way to try out an RDS but that's its only positive in my opinion... But neither myself or anyone else here would label me an SME so take that into account.

The Brownells slide was my first option after finding out I could not buy an OEM slide from Glock. Only place I've seen a G26 OEM slide (complete with all parts but not milled for an RMR) was on Gunbroker for about $650.

The Brownells gets good reviews, but I was being cheap and hoped the plate I referenced in my OP would be a viable option. $50 is better than $200, but the concerns raised about the lack of BUIS and durability if dropped were concerns I had as well.

I didn't get the answer to my OP that I wanted, but I asked for a reason and I've received good advise here in the past. I guess if I really want to explore the RMR world and keep my G26 as the platform I need to pick up more than just a decent RMR, I need to invest in a decent way to attach it to my Glock.

Site Supporter
    Never heard of the company you mentioned in the OP.

Optics on pistol slides are subject to significant G forces. As such most dovetail only mounts suck, and will eventually fail. And/or lose zero.

The only dovetail mount I am aware of that has been reasonably successful is the Dueck Defense mount.

However, the best no mill option would be the Raven Concealment Balor mount. It is essentially an “L” shaped mount which attaches via both the rear sight dovetail and a replacement for the rear sight plate. Of course there is no free lunch and retail on a new Balor mount is $199.

https://rcsgear.com/balor-rds-red-dot-sight-mount

The downside to all of these type of mounts is that they force the optic to sit quite high which can make acquiring the dock more difficult and cause issues with duty type holsters.

I would recommend investing in a Brownells slide over any of the other options.

^^^ Another problem with that RCS Balor mount is it removes the option to use a SCD Gadget.

If you do try the dovetail mount post back with your experiences. Good luck!

I know you don’t want to send your slide to get milled, but if the hold up is turnaround time there are reputable shops with about a week turnaround time. Nameless arms being one and Wager machine another. Just another idea to consider.
    Last edited by P226SAOFan; 05-21-2022 at 09:05 AM.

Just an FYI - the reason I don't want to have my slide milled has nothing to do with cost or turnaround time. I want to keep my gun unaltered (other than sights, GAP floor plates and Talon grip tape, everything is bone stock). If I don't like the RMR concept, I can't "unmill" my slide. That's what was attractive about the dove tail mount - I could experiment with an RMR without taking a saw to my slide. Not being mounted securely and being mounted higher than normal is a reason to skip that experiment and go with something else, but only if I can find a 2nd slide to use.

What I wanted was an OEM slide. That I would have sent out to get milled. With that not being an option, an aftermarket slide like the Brownells that is already cut for an RMR will have to do. I have enough spare parts to take a stripped slide and get it up and running. The Brownells slide would go on my training gun. If I end up loving the RMR, with my accuracy both in close and at distance improving as well as my split times getting better, I may then be able to justify sending my carry gun's slide off to get milled, but that decision is for another day.

Totally understand, I have a stock 19 with sentimental value I won’t have milled either.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Just an FYI - the reason I don't want to have my slide milled has nothing to do with cost or turnaround time. I want to keep my gun unaltered (other than sights, GAP floor plates and Talon grip tape, everything is bone stock). If I don't like the RMR concept, I can't "unmill" my slide. That's what was attractive about the dove tail mount - I could experiment with an RMR without taking a saw to my slide. Not being mounted securely and being mounted higher than normal is a reason to skip that experiment and go with something else, but only if I can find a 2nd slide to use.

What I wanted was an OEM slide. That I would have sent out to get milled. With that not being an option, an aftermarket slide like the Brownells that is already cut for an RMR will have to do. I have enough spare parts to take a stripped slide and get it up and running. The Brownells slide would go on my training gun. If I end up loving the RMR, with my accuracy both in close and at distance improving as well as my split times getting better, I may then be able to justify sending my carry gun's slide off to get milled, but that decision is for another day.
    The Brownells slides are well vetted.

The only thing which requires a special tool on Glock slides is installing the Channel liner for the striker channel.

Brownells lists the slides as coming without the channel liner but someone here previously reported receiving a slide e/ the channel liner installed.

User Tag List