Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning my rifle after running it suppressed in a Justified Defensive Concept class

Cleaning my rifle after running it suppressed in a Justified Defensive Concept class

This is the only way to clean weapons. I used this ultrasonic cleaner, bought it in 2020, I’ve used it a lot, and it’s holding up.

As you can see, it was filthy. Ran great, though. Because LaRue.

Name:  99C98709-8AB0-446B-B479-6B364841F2D9.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  41.5 KB

#RESIST

I’d show you guys what happened free I dropped the bolt carrier in, but the water is literally black now.
    #RESIST

What are you using for cleaning solution/agent?

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This is the only way to clean weapons. I used this ultrasonic cleaner, bought it in 2020, I’ve used it a lot, and it’s holding up.

As you can see, it was filthy. Ran great, though. Because LaRue.

Name:  99C98709-8AB0-446B-B479-6B364841F2D9.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  41.5 KB

No issues with the charging handle being Aluminum?

I also was curious if it played any havoc on the spring/insert on the BCG.

I’ve spent a lot of time discussing ultrasonic cleaners in my years on the interwebs, but just not used them.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I use an old Hornady cleaner that they apparently don't sell anymore...big enough basket to comfortably hold a detail stripped handgun slide of just about any size (pretty sure a Mk23 would fit in it too), but it's not deep enough to hold an entire 1911 frame...so the few times I need to do that, I leave the butt end hanging out (I mean, it doesn't quite gather carbon there anyway...)

AR BCGs and charging handles drop right in with plenty of space; big enough for 3, easy.

For cleaning, Simple Green Pro HD - available at Home Depot. It's purple, not green...there was a thread on a random forum years ago about it (maybe 10?); the guy posting was an exec at Simple Green iirc and he was a gun games practitioner. He wanted a formula that worked better specifically for gun applications, where aluminum/alloy frames would be present that worked not only on carbon, but grease and oil better than regular Simple Green would...and this was the result. Aluminum safe, works great on carbon as well as oil and grease...less expensive than most other formulations, and you can buy in bulk. Cut it with water for your application and away you go!

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    What are you using for cleaning solution/agent?
    Hot water (from the tap and then I turn on the built in heater in the ultrasonic), then a splash of car wash soap. Any soap will work, the ultrasonic action does most of the work.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post

I’ve spent a lot of time discussing ultrasonic cleaners in my years on the interwebs, but just not used them.
    I doubt it Maybe if you overdid it, like every day for two years. I’ve never seen any issues. Plus I rarely need to do much more than wipe down a charging handle.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post

I use the snot out of mine. I have a more industrial grade one for firearms, and a harbor freight one for glasses/watches/etc - keeping the lead cross contamination down.

It is amazing to be able to put a field stripped 1911, a BCG, suppressor, or steel revolver into the cleaner (a splash of Slip 725, water, and hit the heater button), put the gun into a dehydrator over night, and lubricate like normal. Same thing goes for everything but aluminum (LCR/TX22) and slides with an optic that's mounted on them. I do pop the grips off guns out of habit before dunking - but it is great.

Yes, it does take more time (per day) than just hitting stuff with a brush and going to town. However, I don't have to be cleaning during any of that time, so I can go for a walk, work in the woods, whatever, instead. The ultrasonic does a great job of getting into the crevices of assembled equipment, which is frankly just hitting the easy button.

If anything, I'm seriously considering getting a larger tank cleaner so I can put complete firearms in there :-)

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This is the only way to clean weapons. I used this ultrasonic cleaner,
    That link does not work for me?

User Tag List