Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Handgun Hunter 9mm 115gr +P Monoflex in Vyse Ballistics Gel

Hornady Handgun Hunter 9mm 115gr +P Monoflex in Vyse Ballistics Gel

Test Gun: Sig P320, P365
    Barrel length: 3.9, 3 inches.
    Ammunition: Hornady Handgun Hunter 9mm 115gr +P Monoflex in Vyse Ballistics Gel
    Test media: 10% Vyse Ballistics Gel
    Distance: 10 feet.
    Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
    Velocity average: 1135, 1083 fps
    BB Calibration: 3.5 inches.

https://general-cartridge.com/2022/0...allistics-gel/
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Whoa that actually performed very well.
    I’m surprised I thought it would need more velocity or a longer barrel length to expand well.

I do kind of question it’s plus P status with those velocities though.

I guess that being “certified lead free” makes it a viable hunting round where the eco-nazis have mucked up the hunting regs. I wonder what it does from a PCC?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I guess that being “certified lead free” makes it a viable hunting round where the eco-nazis have mucked up the hunting regs. I wonder what it does from a PCC?
    Other then it being lead free I don't see how it's better then a lot of other stuff out there. I can't imagen there being a big 9mm hunting market in lead free states.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Sorry for the thread drift, but I was thinking about the Lehigh penetrator bullets, searched your site and found this:

https://general-cartridge.com/2019/0...allistics-gel/

Then I remembered sending you ammo to test.

It it reasonable to conclude from your testing that the 9mm Lehigh bullets out penetrated the .45 Super?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Sorry for the thread drift, but I was thinking about the Lehigh penetrator bullets, searched your site and found this:

https://general-cartridge.com/2019/0...allistics-gel/

Then I remembered sending you ammo to test.

It it reasonable to conclude from your testing that the 9mm Lehigh bullets out penetrated the .45 Super?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Other then it being lead free I don't see how it's better then a lot of other stuff out there. I can't imagen there being a big 9mm hunting market in lead free states.
    Thanks for doing this. It makes a perfect round for the Glock 19 I carry when bird or other hunting because reasons. I cannot get a solid answer out of California DFW as to whether every round of ammo you have in your possession when hunting has to be lead free. I am not willing to test the theory regarding common sense or discretion.

I just noticed that the price at Midway in now under $20 a box at $19.28.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Thanks for doing this. It makes a perfect round for the Glock 19 I carry when bird or other hunting because reasons. I cannot get a solid answer out of California DFW as to whether every round of ammo you have in your possession when hunting has to be lead free. I am not willing to test the theory regarding common sense or discretion.
    I rifle hunt in lead-free areas, but usually load my G19 with lead-free ammo for the reasons you describe. I've been using a +P+ round manufactured by Buffalo Bore with a 115gr Barnes TAC-XP copper bullet. It was about the only lead-free 9mm I could find at the time. The Hornady Handgun Hunter seems like a nice alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    I do kind of question it’s plus P status with those velocities though.
    My understanding is +P is just a SAAMI spec allowing for higher pressure, not a velocity threshold. And the copper bullet probably generates more pressure so to get it to go that fast requires +P pressures?

User Tag List