Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with Kimber rifles?

Any experience with Kimber rifles?

About a year ago I was visiting an uncle out of state and he showed me his Kimber bolt action rifle in 22-250. I forget the exact model name. I thought it was a pretty nice rifle. It shot well.

Thus, at the beginning part of this year I placed an order for a Kimber in 7 mm-08, one of my favorite rounds for local deer hunting. The dealer had it listed as back ordered without a specific eta.

Coming up on 6 months now. I contacted the dealer, no word from them. I contacted Kimber directly. They were quick to respond but basically said they wouldn't even give a rough ballpark estimate as to how long it would take for that rifle to show up.

I don't mind waiting for a good product. However there has to be a relationship between how long the wait is and how great the product is. While I thought my uncle's rifle was good, I wouldn't want to wait 12 months or longer for something like that.

Wanted to see what other people's experience with Kimber rifles was. Feel free to talk not just about ordering, Etc but as well as the overall experience with the firearm.

Early on, their .22 rifles were excellent.

Friends and I had some of their center fire ones. Lightweight, although the action wasn't model 70 level inspiring if you run the bolt hard. I have heard of accuracy being hit and miss on individual examples, just like Christensen Arms.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Friends and I had some of their center fire ones. Lightweight, although the action wasn't model 70 level inspiring if you run the bolt hard. I have heard of accuracy being hit and miss on individual examples, just like Christensen Arms.
    Well that's certainly not encouraging. Not surprising however.

I might have to bail on this one.

Man, I wish they made an Element in 7-08.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you want light, accurate, consistent quality...

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...gton/p/1434434
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If you want light, accurate, consistent quality...

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...gton/p/1434434
    Oh yes, I own quite a few Tikkas and love them all. Unfortunately in 7-08 they don't come with threaded barrels. Actually, they do make one in that caliber with a threaded barrel but it's not imported into the US. I talked to Beretta USA over the weekend about it and they have no plans to bring it in.

Guess I could always buy one and then have it sent off for threading. However, the Barrel is thin with that model and I have yet to find a gunsmith I would trust with something like that.

The Kimber offers controlled round feeding ( or at least some version of it) and a factory threaded barrel in 5/8.

My experience mirrors yours. I have a Kimber 82 Government .22 that is amazingly accurate.

I have shot a more recent Kimber centerfire, and was underwhelmed. The Ruger American in 300 BLK I was shooting at he same range shot noticeably tighter groups.

Site Supporter
    I've got an unfired Kimber 82 in .25-20. I think there were less than 300 made in the whole production run. It's the only modern rifle that's been chambered in my favorite cartridge, and I'm loathe to shoot it because of the rarity.

Kimber centerfires back in the day were known for their usually gorgeous wood and quality of bluing; a little less so for accuracy which could be hit or miss as they didn't splurge on barrel quality.

Ugh, I totally forgot about the early .22 rifles. I recently found an ‘80s Bisley Single Six on Gunbroker that I liked, and now I’m thinking it needs a long gun companion.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Kimber centerfires back in the day were known for their usually gorgeous wood and quality of bluing; a little less so for accuracy which could be hit or miss as they didn't splurge on barrel quality.
    Sounds like their 1911 barrels. Seriously.
    #RESIST

I’ve only had Yonkers made rifles but I’ve had a few.

I bought a Kimber Hunter 22 that was the most accurate 22 I ever owned, even more accurate than the SVT I had from them. But blue steel and walnut aren’t my thing so I sold the Hunter, sold the SVT first.

I traded for a Montana in 204 Ruger and it was/is a perfect rifle. Very accurate and feeds fine, I will never part with it.

Bought a 243 Montana and had it re-barreled in 22-250 AI. It had feeding problems. I called Kimber, told the guy what I had and he sent me a new spring and follower, problem fixed.

Bought one in 223 and sent it off to be set back and chambered for 223 AI, it was impressive but wasn’t 22-250 AI impressive and a buddy wanted it so I sold it to him. He still has it and it’s still impressive.

I got to missing a 223 bolt gun and found a Montana in 223 for a steal and bought it. It’s been perfect out of the box. A buddy had the varminter version in 223 and bought 1500 rounds of 75 grain Hornady ammo and it wouldn’t shoot well in his rifle. We traded ammo and I shot it in one of my AR’s. It wouldn’t group well in it either. I thought I had made a mistake then I remembered I had the 223 Kimber Montana. The first 3 rounds went like this.

I haven’t even bedded this rifle yet but it shoots everything pretty well.

I’m a fan of Kimber rifles and will buy more. I read that they are having trouble getting quality people to work in their new plant since the move so rifle production has been delayed. I have found their 1911’s to be hit or miss but I love their rifles.

User Tag List