Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SA Trigger Preferences

SA Trigger Preferences

I was invited to handle a colleague’s SA revolver, a real nice custom piece, and it had what I’ll call a “touch” trigger.

As in, once the hammer was back, the trigger was very much touch-and-go. Between experiencing that gun and another brief encounter with a similarly set up SAA clone, I find that the sub-3.5# trigger is really not my speed.

I’m finding that there’s a real minimum combination of weight and distance that I want in a “field gun” trigger. Not to go to the place everyone goes, but a pistol trigger that feels similar to a 1911 with high hooks and not less than 3.5# is my happy place. I’m no one’s marksman, but I like being able to “get into” my trigger press instead of “approach” it, which seems like a mental setting I need for success with “touch type” trigger.

I’m not making any safety complaints against such triggers- quite the opposite, it’s just not as much fun to press the trigger when the gun fires at a slight touch and movement. I’ve got my dad’s old Olympic-bullseye style bolt action .22 rifle and his Benelli .22 pistol. I expect that trigger out of those very focused sort of guns, and I still have the pistol set to give me a bit of travel to the press. I also get that anyone shooting action pistol or American bullseye at the highest levels are probably happily engaging with “touch triggers”.

How do you like your SA revolver trigger to be set?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

5lbs with a rolling break

Site Supporter
    My only single-action revolver is a box-stock Old Model Super Blackhawk. My guess is that the trigger is about 4.5 lbs with a slightly rolling break. It's in the "It ain't broke, so I ain't fixin' it" category. It was my hunting revolver when I hunted; I no longer hunt. Which reminds me, I need to take it to the range and burn through another box of my leftover hunting loads so I can free up the brass for milder ammo.

My first pistol was a Single-Six with a trigger like described in the above posts. I’m on the cusp of getting another one, and these recent experiences have encouraged this polling. I dig the responses so far!
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I’ve never put a trigger gauge on any of the SAs I’ve had so I can’t put numbers to it, but I prefer all of my triggers to be smooth and crisp as opposed to light.

Somewhere along the line the idea that “light is right” spread out from the target and fast draw ranges and into the general shooting consciousness which is just not so.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    My only single-action revolver is a box-stock Old Model Super Blackhawk. My guess is that the trigger is about 4.5 lbs with a slightly rolling break. It's in the "It ain't broke, so I ain't fixin' it" category. It was my hunting revolver when I hunted; I no longer hunt. Which reminds me, I need to take it to the range and burn through another box of my leftover hunting loads so I can free up the brass for milder ammo.
    Perfect description of my 3-screw Blackhawk.

My first CF handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post

The way Ruger or Uberti sends it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

As previously noted, specialized shooting endeavors demand special accommodations with regards to trigger pull. But, for general use, I'm GTG as long as;

(a) the trigger pull weight is slightly less or equal to the weight of the gun itself
    (b) the break is clean break with no creep
    (c) there is no excessive amount of over-travel
    Last edited by 41magfan; 08-08-2022 at 10:10 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

One thing to consider with single-action revolvers is the relatively long lock-time makes follow-through almost as important as the trigger press itself. Keeping the sights aligned through both the trigger press and the hammer fall has, for me, made the weight of the trigger pull itself less important than the pull being smooth and having minimal over-travel. Because there is no concern about "pinning" the trigger at the rear of the pull, I tend to think of pulling the trigger as being similar to closing my trigger finger down into my closed hand, and I try to then concentrate on maintaining that closed-grip through the hammer fall and recoil.

Edited to add: my preferences are based on what I use single-action revolvers for most: deliberate slow-fire with heavy-recoiling cartridges.
    Last edited by oregon45; 08-08-2022 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Not that light. Not even close.
    #RESIST

User Tag List