Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shoe recommendations for new gig

Site Supporter
    You might also look at Thursday Boot Company. I have a few pairs of different AE styles and I have a pair of the Thursday Captains. The Thursday boots are just as good and a better value. They offer a rubber sole that's basically a clone of the Dainite soles and works just as well in my experience. If you don't need a wide size, they have at least some styles that are made in the US. I don't know, but I would expect that the Captains, at least, would take an insole. I have very flat feet, so anything with a hint of arch support is painful for me to wear. The Captains work for me, so I suspect would work with an insole.

Dockers

When I was slacks or suits for work, I had a pair of Dockers oxfords that I really liked. Super comfy and reasonable looking.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Back in the day I used to love the comfort and support of Clark's (of England) shoes...but I have no idea if they are still the same company they were years ago.

The ones I had were more casual looking than styles designed for jacket and tie wear by and large.
    One of the magistrates I work with wears Clark’s and she’s happy with them, although at work she’s usually seated. I bought a pair recently and wore them several hours today. I’ve been a part time bailiff since retiring last year and I’ve been wearing my Danner Acadias but I wanted shoes for the lighter weight and to possibly facilitate wearing a BUG on my ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    You might also look at Thursday Boot Company. I have a few pairs of different AE styles and I have a pair of the Thursday Captains. The Thursday boots are just as good and a better value. They offer a rubber sole that's basically a clone of the Dainite soles and works just as well in my experience. If you don't need a wide size, they have at least some styles that are made in the US. I don't know, but I would expect that the Captains, at least, would take an insole. I have very flat feet, so anything with a hint of arch support is painful for me to wear. The Captains work for me, so I suspect would work with an insole.
    I’m drawn to their wingtip boot in black with the rubber soles.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll definitely consider this company.

Site Supporter
    Perhaps it is just the time of the year or my locale. The predominate shoe type bar far is an all black running type shoe. I have seen 7 or 8 sketchers, 2 leather brooks and 2 non leather brooks, 1 pr of asics, 1 pr of eccos ( he is the newest hire and those were his last daily khaki/polo shoes just before he retired as a detective. He had not worn them much.) Finally, the three retired troopers are all wearing some kind of an all leather magnum that looks to be the bastard child of the mid weight boots and a running shoe.

https://magnumboots.com/collections/...rike-force-3-0.

FWIW. Let us know what you do.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Bought a cheap pair of Florsheim oxfords until I can get something else. Haven’t had an opportunity to shop and try on things.

I have upgraded the shirts as the issued off shore poly blended ones were pretty horrible.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Super helpful.

So, a bit of a wild card pick, but if you can get away with dressing as smart casual or business casual, rather than actual informalwear, what about this: https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens...ather-gtx-shoe

I have the non-GTX version (which doesn't come in black, unfortunately), and it's surprisingly versatile.

You can also look into Wesco, they have some shoes that might fit the bill, albeit on the pricey side. AFAIK, they tend to be seen as a step above White's or Nick's, and closer to Viberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Sorry, I had to return two.pairs of Thursday boots which did not fit. Gave up on them, So I bit he bullet and went back to the Dehner Co., Omaha, NE for custom mades which I wore in the military in the 1980s and later on the job. Not at all inexpensive, but highest quality, sturdy and durable. Mine are in water buffalo leather as recommended by my trainer down at the Farm. Just the thing when you need your E&E kit inserted into the heels to walk out from a denied area behind the inter-German border back to the world.

I have a pair of strap tanker boots and another of generic looking city Oxfords with double composition traction sole with spike-protective layer and E&E kit dispersed between both heels. These days would re-think.contents to be less likely to trip alarms on airport scans, but back in the day having six UK goldvsovereigns or Krugerands gave adquate juice to bribe your way put of almost anywhere.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 08-22-2022 at 10:07 PM.

I'd get a pair of boots with wedge soles from one of the big PNW bootmakers but it's pushing your price limit ~$500-600. The uppers will last decades and when the soles wear down (they do quicker than rubber), a cobbler can slap a new one on in an hour. Only downside is the wait to receive them after purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Perhaps it is just the time of the year or my locale. The predominate shoe type bar far is an all black running type shoe. I have seen 7 or 8 sketchers, 2 leather brooks and 2 non leather brooks, 1 pr of asics, 1 pr of eccos ( he is the newest hire and those were his last daily khaki/polo shoes just before he retired as a detective. He had not worn them much.) Finally, the three retired troopers are all wearing some kind of an all leather magnum that looks to be the bastard child of the mid weight boots and a running shoe.

https://magnumboots.com/collections/...rike-force-3-0.

FWIW. Let us know what you do.

Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue with the Dainite soles. Other than FedEx trying their best to screw it all up, I managed to get a pair of factory seconds and have them on today breaking them in.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  21.1 KB

User Tag List